Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-03-30
21:42:45
 Re: Sidekick264 - software defined cartridge

Actually if you allow it, those musics could be released on the CSDB, as the SID music is definitely a C64 platform, and need to be converted to be SID card compatible.
So from that point onwards it is not a Plus/4 only project, but their own release.

gerliczer: those chiptunes are pretty nice! Thanks for the links! Just running in the background.
XL5 is really TED-ish happy

my 2 Cents (not being a programmer or musician happy ):
PS OFF1: If you need a professional music for a start-screen with few moving parts/effects, and you have a specific sound in your mind to create the atmosphere, there is the option to use Digital Composing kit, using samples.
Supposely you know it is from Prieth, Christian (Apos). It supports the 8bit output of the SID Digiblaster. Last, but not least: Made in Germany wink
In his demos his musics requires huge memory (speech, etc), but you can use mini chiptune samples, could be created as a simple waveform, or rip from mini chiptune MOD. Or may digitize sound from my MiniMoog VST (very cool analoge sound)
As I see, it is easier to create a music in this way, than with SID editors. These mini chiptune MODs typically take with the mini samples 10-30KB. yeah it is bigger than 1-1.5KB, but I think for a started screen it could be OK. (Secret gardens.mod is my fav (18KB) )

PS OFF2: did you know that VLC media player is a really capable SID-player? I was kind of shocked...

PS ON: Yamaha FM could be one of the dream come true, though it told really hard to program, harder than SID.

IDEA:
The Digiblaster address is so-calle standard, and supported with emulators. Few Demo supports it too.
So could be a standard feature? What is your vote?
Ok, it is only 1 channel 8 bit sound, but eh, still better than the 5.5 bits we have, and need less transformation to send a pure 8 bit sample to an 8 bit D/A channel, than to use converter tables. Not to mention, that the original and legendary Soundblaster 2.0 also had this amount of 8 bit digital channel (1x), and it produced epic sounding games, like Dune2 "Dune, the land of sand..." :-)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024