Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Rüdiger
on 2020-01-21
11:10:24
 If you are curious about how many...

If you are curious about how many copies Timeslip sold in 1990, you can now get some insight (with permission from Jon Williams)!

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-01-23
11:10:24
 Re: If you are curious about how many... Timeslip

Wow, I was not aware that Atari had a release too.
And frankly speaking, Atari version is also a very nice one. But in fact almost the double size (27KB)

The C16 and Atari releases on the homepage show the picture of almost the same content, so it is easy to compare. Timeslip on C16 is a really outstanding game, and it looks the ATARI version was
polished a little more.
What is hard to believe, that from the ATARI version they sold two times more (!) than from the epic C16 version.
The amount they paid for Jon for his brilliant work... Well, it seems not only the piracy ()low sales) killed the development of the new C= softwares, but the low royalty payments too.
(OK, I know it take money to produce and copy the tapes, print the cover sheet and add the plastic housing, do marketing, etc, etc), but as visible, the cost of such a game in cassette was ~2.99Ł.

Posted By

Mad
on 2020-01-23
16:26:16
 Re: If you are curious about how many...

Thanks for this insight! Personally I always thought the good games did sell around 10th of thousands on the C16. I really wasn't aware of that. So you couldn't get a billionare by doing games in the days.. Nice that Jon Williams did provide this statistics!

edit: Okay 1990 is pretty late..

Posted By

nojeee
on 2020-01-24
06:42:56

The invoice that's shown is for the budget release of the game rather than the original version from English Software.

I honestly can't remember how many C16 and Atari sales there were when it was originally released but it certainly didn't make me rich wink. The game was initially written for the C16 and it was a squeeze to get it to fit into memory (I had 34 bytes free!). The Atari version had 32KB to run in so I was able to make some improvements and provide a better front end with a few gameplay instructions.

The original release was in 1985 and by the time the budget version came out in 1990 the 8 bit market had reduced greatly. I moved on to 16 bit and consoles but my 8 bit days are still my favourite.

Posted By

Retro Recollections
on 2020-02-05
16:44:03

Brilliant game, so unique. I never played it back in the day but discovered it last year. Thanks for the great work!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024