Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-01-20
16:28:31
 Re: YoomBlazer - a new pic on Atari 8bit and Commodore plus/4

@Mirkosoft
Thank you for our detailed feedback and the uploaded files.
Well, with proper tools seem the VDC can shine. No question, the VDC details are beyond the one we can reach with TED (this is the cause I choose HIRES FLI instead of MC FLI, despite MC has much more colors)
Those colorful VDC patterns are really nice.

I was not aware that VDC can do it, even after seeing VDC 64K HIRES demo on youtube I was not really aware... It was a little monochromish... So I decided to create VDC Challenge show.

TED can do BEST case 8x2, because the CPU is not fast enough to change both the color map and the luminance map in every raster line. (With a little faster CPU and RAMs it could work, but not on this machine)

It would be great to have a proper drawing tool for these VDC modes.
(BTW VDC 16K is the original, and later with US 128 desktop model C= added 64K RAM, easy to upgrade 16K to 64K, but not beyond, so 128K does not exist AFAIK)

The attribute free color mixing may produce great results. this is what I saw on EGA too (though most of the pictures do not reach on EGA that quality):

(I am thinking about an EGA Challenge slideshow too :-D )

Last remark:
Unfortunately I think your TED picture does not show the best case possible.
Certainly it needs some human interaction to get closer to the original with other tools too.

I think the routine add a little too much noise or dithering to the picture, so it results some random "bad pixels" at not proper places.
(though I know, that adding some some noise may help the quality of conversion, it happen at Larry's IHFLI tool too)
Usually it takes the most time from me to find an optimal setting in IstvanV's FLI converter the dithering level, the color intensity, and all the other fine settings.

Here is a comparison I did in a few minutes. The bottom two are the TED ones.
When I check the eye iris and the balls the VDC is evidently more faithful to the original. The solid colors at the bottom are just great, very failthful to the original.
I think with a little less dithering on the picture area your VDC conversion could be even more impressive.

(BTW my left/right attribute column at the edges are really bad, sorry :-) )

@carrion:
sorry for the lot of OFF happy
sorry for the big pictures.

Still you FLI rules happy
The human brain and artistic vein still produces much better result than any picture I could synthetize with any conversion tools.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024