Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-01-15
14:35:19
 Re: How to install or run games on the Plus4

everything as said by gerliczer.

I can mention one more method, that is a kind of hybrid. I own one.
The microIEC was originally a CompactFlash based device, later on the SD card based version released.
(it is a kind of funny, but the Compactflash is much easier to handle, the SD card has a much more complex protocol to follow).

It is similar and comptible to SD2IEC as it works, but the idea is to build it into the machine, but it needs some soldering.

Fortunately I waslucky enough to face a guy, who made all the nasty work, so I have an 1541/II "legacy" floppy drive with built in MicroIEC.
It has a lot of advantages. And some shortcomings too :-)
You do not need additional cables and power supplies around the system. Everything provided by the floppy drive internally.

The system looks like a "normal" system with floppy, no extra cables, but it has really fast SD loading (especially with JiffyDOS, as I see, faster than SD2IEC)
It has no buttons to select the next/previous PRG or D64. All need to be selected with a program/file selector.
The disadvantage, that you may have problems with multiloading discs build from several D64s. But these are not so frequent on +4 as on C64.

The only sign is a cutting on the floppy disc housing for the SD card. The same device can be built into the C16 or Plus/4 housing (like a swappable HDD :-) )
I think it is a very elegant way upgrading the system, AFAIK more convenient than the SD2IEC.
Actually I use my EPSON SX200 printer's SD card slot to upload the PRGs and D64s.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024