Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

carrion
on 2019-12-05
09:30:10
 Ted Emulator / replacement

Hey guys have you seen this - ThED - the TED replacement chip!?

https://retrohax.net/thed-mos-technology-ted-replacement-for-commodore-264-series/

a TED replacement project. so far it's in POC phase but still...
I'm considering to go to Silly Venture just to see it wink

Posted By

GeTE
on 2019-12-05
10:53:12
 Re: Ted Emulator / replacement

I'm in doubt, dies this interfere in any way with this project?
https://hackaday.io/project/11460-fpgated

And - because it fits so perfectly - what about using the comming FPGATEDs in a new C16-Board that might come too?
https://www.forum64.de/index.php?thread/95266-verbessertes-c16-board-ohne-8501-aus-heute-so-gebastelt/

Posted By

MCes
on 2019-12-06
01:57:55

Unfortunately the project has only been started, the photos shown do not show anything, it's like having taken a picture at +4 (with a TED inside) next to a PC running VICE ...
we must hope that in the future this project, or other analogues, will reach full realization.

Posted By

drygol
on 2019-12-12
03:19:28

Hi everyone happy

Willy/Lamers and myself (Drygol/Lamers) we are working on this project for quite a while and we've decided that we will share the current state of this project, hence the above news.

@GeTe,
We would like to use FPGATED because it has all the parts needed to complete the development process. Now, most of the analog part in our project is complete but we still need to sort out the digital part which is already done by István Hegedűs. That would've sped up finishing this project greatly. However, we've tried to contact him a few times and never got a single answer and since this is a GPL license we cannot use his project. If we won't have an answer, I guess we will have to develop that part from scratch and this will obviously take more time

Posted By

siz
on 2019-12-12
06:31:23

If you download the files for FPGATED you will see the header in the sources saying that it's also GPL licensed:
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Copyright 2013-2019 Istvan Hegedus
//
// FPGATED is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
// it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
// the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
// (at your option) any later version.
//
// FPGATED is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
// but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
// MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
// GNU General Public License for more details.
//
// You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
// along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
//
// Create Date: 12/18/2013 - 31/03/2016
// Design Name: MOS 8360 video chip
// Module Name: ted.v
// Version: 1.1
// Project Name: FPGATED
// Description: Cycle exact MOS 8360 TED display chip

So what's the problem with that?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2019-12-13
09:46:32

Probably the usual. They want to use the existing code but don't want to open their own modifications. And they want to stay legal in the process.

Posted By

carrion
on 2019-12-14
13:37:38

I saw it working at the Silly Venture party last weekend.
From what I understand form the creator at this stage it's all implemented in FPGA meaning it doesn't use the on board mem. I chatted with the creator a bit but the discussion was to complicated to but I declared my help with the testing it with some of my gfx if/when they are ready.

What I saw at the party was a simple demo screen you can see in the article but IMO the colors were not correct. So most of the discussion we had was about the colors. We even tried to connect the plus/4 equipped with this FPGA to different TVs but the results were mediocre IMO. They (authors) confirmed there still lots of things to do before they can call it a beta ready and give me to tests.

Anyway I wait patiently until they are ready.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024