Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2019-09-28
04:11:42
 Re: Possible 8501 replacement kit?

For me the first is the 256K project machine and other upgrades in one machine.
Could be bought to parties, even able to run from UPS (the recent aftermarket switching PSUs (for Spectrums) with regulated 9V are also lighter than plus/4 PSU (prone to be defective), and can provide even 2A)
Because C16 has more space, I can load some extra stuff into that.

Plus/4 is more compact, but less like it's keyboard, the cursors, and there are (for me) unnecessary chips generating extra heat inside the smaller body (3+1 ROM, ACIA).

For the defective Plus/4s the "installability", lower cost and and lower heat are the key factors and 85MC01 would fit to these requirements.
Jiffy would be a great extra!

Last month I tested and experienced the speed improvement with SJL264 and I was really blown away!
I have an SD-1541/II, an 1541/II with Jiffy kernal and an integrated MicroIEC natively supports Jiffy protocol.
The first two loads with Jiffy a 42KB program in ~11-12 seconds, while the MicroIEC did it in ~5 seconds.
The last one is blazing fast!
The first two speeds are equal to the Apple speed referred several years ago in a forum topic, why the Apple II could load so much faster?
The answer is: C= machines also need proper "drivers". Jiffy protocol is the compatible answer.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024