Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2019-09-23
14:47:50
 Re: Possible 8501 replacement kit?

So I preordered my candle/Lotharek replacement, and will have a C16 soon.
C16 has enough space and less IC inside, so the heat is a smaller issue. Will be hooked up with a ZX Spectrum128K PSU (compatible with C16). It was a long time dream to have 256K happy

After finishing that below special project I still need to repair 3 of my dead Plus/4s and get a proper "square connector" PSU for them. Probably one or two of them has 8501 defect, than I plan to buy the cheaper (and smaller?) 85MC01.

OFF
Plan to add to the C16 a Jiffy and probably an internal microIEC, than may no external house cutting and may behave as an internal HDD. :-D
As per my tests, the microIEC is a beast linked with JiffyDOS or with SJL264 from BSZ. Close to 10KB/sec loading speed, and B does not mean bit happy Certainly it is less compatible than SD2IEC or SD-1541/II, but faster than those, and can be integrated into the housing without any sign.

Actually the only downside of C16 os the missing UserPort, so cannot connect a wifi modem (or my RS232 mouse even if I ever finish ithappy ) so cannot try out the BBS. On the other hand the more easy assembly and the lower heat (except regulator) are real benefits, and even has space to add a proper internal (but silent) cooling, but the space need to be measured.
I think the ZX Spectrum PSUs may be able to manage the extra load of th PC fan, while the Plus/4 PSU has it's own limitations. (1.5A on mainly used 5V line, while ZX 128K has 1.85 or 2.1A on 9V, regulated internally to 5V). Hopefully C16 regulator can manage it.
I may buy a professional PSU for Plus/4 40-50USD + shipping, but can easily buy a 2A 9V regulated PSU for Spectrum for 20€ with shipping, or try to find a strong ZX +2 PSU from UK (25-30€)

C16 keyboard is very robust too.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024