Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

manxmann
on 2019-08-26
14:11:38
 Disk load fails

Hi Folks,

Question for those in the know. I have two (don't ask) apparently working +4's, I say apparently as both pass all tests from the DIAG264 cartridge and run the on-board 3 in 1 software.

Now the problem, I have a Pi1541 that I use with all my CBM machines , Vic/64/16/128 and 1 of the +4's and this solution works brilliantly. However on the other plus 4 I can load 'small' programs, such as FB16 and ieverything works perfectly however attempting to load anything larger, say Elite +4 and the load starts and never completes. No errors the +4 just sits there.

Hooking the Pi up to a monitor and I can see activity when the program starts to load then the data line falls silent.

I'm suspecting a partial CPU failure, the troublesome unit sports an early 7501 cpu and the working one the later 8501.

I've re-capped both machines and the CPU and TED are fitted with large heatsinks.

Cheers

Posted By

crock
on 2019-08-26
16:08:36
 Re: Disk load fails

Hi Manxmann, What version of Diag264 are you using, and do you use all the loopback plugs with it?

Rob

Posted By

manxmann
on 2019-08-27
15:24:12

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Looking at the back of the cart it says v0.94 PAL on the screen its says .94 BETA / build 201902241940 this particular cart doesn't seem to use the loopback harness.

I should really swap over the CPU's and see if the problem follows but I've been avoiding it as the heatsinks make extracting the chips somewhat awkward.

Simon

Posted By

manxmann
on 2019-08-27
15:28:46

Sorry I told a great big fib, this cart DOES test the ports, it flashes past a little quickly after the joystick test and I mustn't have been paying attention.

I don't have / haven't made a hardness.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024