Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2019-08-04
15:19:39
 Re: Árok 2019

Thanks for the kind words, MMS. Couple of random thoughts from me:

I also want to apologize for not greeting the faithful Italian trailblazers of the Plus/4 scene In the earlier versions of the demo, the DXCYP had the greetings, but we deemed it to be too boring; so it was cut down to 3 sentences. I specifically asked Krona to double-check the greets list, but I reviewed it too (for grammar and spelling), so I should have caught it. Well, in all honesty, we could have worked another week (month... year...) on this product, if it wasn't for siz and Krona's iron will and whip cracking, we would not have made the deadline.

Glad you guys liked the tunes - big respect to all the folks who can compose within the confines of existing trackers! For me... I don't think I ever released a tune in which the player wasn't tweaked at least a little bit. In this one, the most obvious innovation is the experimental SID stuff. The bassdrum is punchier, if you have a SID - but it's not really required to enjoy the sound. Additionally, while programming the volume envelopes for the Datapop part... whew, I was forced to rewrite that a bit to make it more manageable. Friday was spent optimizing the music data to save some bytes - we caught a last minute bug, the 2nd tune was too long and had to be shortened to fit the loading scheme. Eventually one short part of the medley was cut, but it's still pretty cool. I'm probably most proud of the "Induljon a Datapop" and "Hear the datapop (get wicked)!" stuff (to spell that out; the main theme from Datapop was mixed in with those two songs).

The plasma is really cool, the first of its kind. We had some DFLI plasmas before, but they always use some tricks. This one really does all the heavy lifting, each 4x2 pixel area is colored differently at 50 FPS, well, thanks to the interlace, it's each 2x2 pixel area. I really wish we could have fit in at least one other sine + color pattern, to show off what it can do, but unfortunately it didn't fit in the memory.

Anyway, I'm happy with how it turned out, and I'm also very pleased at how much Plus/4 stuff was there. We were represented very well in each compo!

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024