Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2019-06-12
16:09:38
 Re: What's the best modern loading device for Commodore Plus 4

My € .02 :
-BSZ's device used in Evo Lution and MicroMorph0s1s (despite a really specific device, loading FLI gfx into two 16KB specific memory adress) seems to much faster (!) that mentioned 80KB/s speed.
This is full screen FLI, and as per BSZ calculation, it load the full screen animation with 800KB/sec into RAM.
This is a kind of DMA, and pretty decent.
Evo Lution
As BSZ mentioned in the detailed description below, the device can be used as a 32KB RAM expansion, and this part can be loaded that fast.
Unfortunately only one piece exists for the time being... Imagine what can be done, together with the 12bit sound.

- I have two SD card based devices: microIEC integrated into an 1541/II floppy drive (very nice, no extra cables or PSU needed, just the "usual" looking 1541, and the microIEC is aavilable at #10).

-Also bough last year the Hungarian made SD-1541/II. Extreme high compatibility (I tested with C64 GEOS, demos, works great), OLED display, very intuitive user interface with a wheel. With JiffyDOS ~5-6 KB/sec speed is possible, despite not being a mechnical drive. It is more about the data you can push through in IEC with bitbanging.

-Parallel cable solutions on C64 with 1541 were highly incompatible. Two years ago on Arok Larry's slideshow's fastoader did not work on the organiser's modded 1541 (had this parallel interface), so I lent them my "vanilla" 1541/II to able to show that fantastic release.

I also vote to SD-1541/II, till BSZ's device is not possible to order/buy/produce happy

(eg. IDE 64 at 99€ with compactflash is faster than 80KB/sec, but our platform does not have such an IDE device)
http://www.ide64.org/ideperf41.gif

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024