Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

ToFu
on 2003-03-14
 PLUS/4 doesn't work

Hello at all

I have a problem with my PLUS/4. After a long time I tried to bring it up again. But the TV only changed from snow to continued black while I powered up the PLUS/4.
I think that these are the internal ROMs. That they are empty or unusable for the CPU.
Can anybody tell me where I can get images for it so that I can flash new ones?

Please Mail back to: t.funder@web.de

Thanks!

Posted By

Mosh
on 2003-03-14
 umm... flashes for MOS chips???

What has probably happened to your Plus/4 is that the TED chip has died. This is common with these machines. Unfortunately, there is no known supply of replacement chips, other than from another working 264 machine.

Posted By

ToFu
on 2003-03-15
 TED chip?

Sorry.

I don't know much about the PLUS/4 at this time. In former times it was my 1st computer.
What is the TED chip? Is it possible to repair it or to clone it from a working one?

TF

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-03-15
 TED -->

is the graphic-producing chip. It is inside the metal cage on the motherboard. It has numbers 7360 or 8360.

TED also produces clock signals for the CPU (7501 or 8501), produces sound, and refreshes the RAM (memory) chips.

Of course, with a completely black screen, you could have a deceased CPU or a bad video cable. TED is most likely the cause, though.

The only known source for replacement TEDs and 8501 CPUs is from other Plus/4s, C16s, and C116s. Commodore did not use them in any other equipment, and they were not sold for wide-scale use outside of Commodore. You might come across them in hobbyist products but that would be a rarity rather than a common occurance.

Posted By

Mosh
on 2003-03-19
 Whatever happened to...

the rights to the MOS technology? I think some Dutch firm bought the rights to the Commodore trademark, so would that also include the rights to MOS chip schematics?

I mean wouldn't it be great if someone had the designs for all these old chips and could manage to find a way to get them manufactured again in small runs. Probably cost the Earth, but still, it'd be pretty cool.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-03-19
 MOS Technology

Gateway Computer Corporation of the US owns the rights to Amiga name and patents. They have since licensed the name to Amiga Technologies of the US.

MOS patents pre-Amiga are up in the air. Nobody seems to claim them. Tulip Computers of the Netherlands owns the Commodore name and post-Amiga 8 bit technology like VIC-III for the C65.

I heard a rumor that C64s were being produced in China as late as 1996, so they might have bought the rights to pre-Amiga 8 bit stuff.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024