Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2019-02-09
11:08:08
 C128 Desktop System JANE

Just reading the Commodore User mag from 1985.
It was interesting read, that everyone expected to see the Amiga on CES1985, but C= presented only C128s (a lot of them). (we are just one year after Plus/4 release and Tramiel's leave)

1) JANE was the very first package for C128 from C=, Office package with integrated word processor, spreadsheet and database PRGs (similar to Magic Desk, expected by some people developed for Plus/4 too, just never released).

JANE developed for C128 and C64 too, and interestingly, it has NO 80 column mode, but SW driven fontsets able to show 64 or 80 column text editor (but was very blurry on CRT TV).
It has a GUI, though much simplier than GEOS, and certainly the functions and flexibility is really limited compared to that. My view, that it could be easily released by Ccommodore to Plus/4 too, to provide something better than 3+1.
https://archive.org/stream/info-magazine-09/Info_Issue_09_1985_Dec-Jan_1986#page/n31/mode/2up

Because it was developed in 1984, my theory that it could be the disc based more serious office package planned for Plus/4 (not the more "toy-like" Magic Desk), but as the 1551 was rare, and not a single 1551 + Plus/4 official bundle released, initially very few Plus/4 bought with floppy discs.
C= very quickly gave up the Plus/4 line. During development of the C128 they may just modified the available code, and could add show at the CES a ready office package for the just released C128 (we know from Bil Herd, that even on the last night before CES they had to manually finetune/modify the first C128 mobos just to able to switch them on!
I have questionmarks, if they could provide working C128 prototypes to SW developers at this stage. But they could show a working office prg on CES.
Or all these C128s may ran in C64 mode on the CES? Cheaters! happy )

2) DEJA VU
Worth to mention, that DEJA VU (the best game of the CES1985) was originally released only for Machintosh and Amiga, but the later C64 version also converted to Plus/4 by CSORY. Thanks!
(BTW it seems to have rather low score and rank on the Toplist, while it was a rather complex game, nice GUI and graphics, and being one of the best games of 1985...)

Posted By

SVS
on 2019-02-10
07:22:20
 Re: C128 Desktop System JANE

Do you mean that is somewhere existing a JANE original version for Plus/4? WOW!

Posted By

JamesC
on 2019-02-10
08:29:36

I looked into this around 15 years ago. There is no JANE for the Plus/4.

There also isn't a JANE for the 64. It's 128-only.

Posted By

MMS
on 2019-02-10
12:35:54

Thank you for the info!
I was just considering to ask Bil about the rumours of an advanced office package C= wanted to release for the plus/4 (the Scpript plus is not bad at all)), some expected Magic Desk, but this should have been the proper one (and the release date is very close).

So the topic can be closed.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024