Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Claude
on 2019-02-02
04:50:26
 Re: Possible Plus4 successor

Thanks for all responses so far. I'm planning a somewhat novel design based on my own research and development of dynamic (at runtime) machine code translation. I'm not interested in FPGA based recreations. This is mainly result of my current lack of HDL knowledge and inherently implementation costs of such approaches. What I have in mind is a simple board with a HDMI port, around 16 MByte of SRAM, an SD card slot and possible all C264 ports for compatibility purposes. Main CPU will be a general purpose DSP SoC from TI (well a VLIW architecture is of advantage here) executing a special firmware which mainly compiles AOT binaries inclusive emulation code for all possible system functionality. The compiler is extensible so one can extend the system with new features if demanded. The whole board will approximatly cost under 100 Euro so it would no problem for me to build on demand (50 at 100 users would be nice to handle). However a recreation of the original c364 keyboard inclusive case would be way to expensive to build without fundraising (hopefully the right word) and for such I estimate not enough interest for a somewhat civil Price. It is probably possible to recreate a similar case and keyboard of wood which is for sure much cheaper (and looks better in my opinion).

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024