Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Frederick
on 2019-01-16
23:55:43
 Re: Pets Rescue Psytronik preorders

I purchased the Collector's Edition soon after the announcement and I've been playing the digital download in YAPE. Tonight I finally got to the last level and finished the final boss. There's something very magical about how all the parts of this game have come together in a way that I can't quite describe. It's not just a good game given the limitations of the system, it's a good game for any system in any era. Some reactions:

The level design is amazing. While there's an element of coordination and quick reflexes required, if you study how the level is structured you can solve it almost like a puzzle. It's a good combination and I wish more games could strike the balance you have here. I've been focused on getting through the levels to unlock the next one and see what you've come up with, but I haven't explored them nearly as much as I would like, nor have I really been focused on getting a high score yet.

The atmosphere of the game is incredibly immersive. The soundtrack and sound effects go incredibly well with the game, and the soundtracks for the levels work very well. I'm also amazed at how beeps from an emulated TED can conjure up thoughts of a happy dog yipping and bouncing back and forth. I was also particularly impressed by the use of color in the graphics. Instead of fighting with the color restrictions, you managed to select palettes that gave each level its own uniqueness and made the software sprites feel like part of the world rather than standing out so much from it.

I don't know how you guys managed to get the animation for the final boss to be so fluid, but it reminded me of final bosses in old Nintendo games. The entire game felt incredibly smooth, and that's in an emulator rather than on real hardware, but that last bit was amazing even given what had come in the levels before.

The ending sequence is beautiful. I don't want to give too much away about it because you should see it for yourself. And the last screen of the ending sequence is touching, particularly for anyone who has or has ever had a pet. I've never gotten to the end of Super Mario Bros and probably never will, but I know that it wouldn't get me in the heart like that.

Great work! I can't wait for the boxed copy to arrive.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024