Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

bubis
on 2018-10-30
13:07:48
 Re: DFLIConv2

It seems to me that you get very similar results for the average picture. It is impossible to tell what was your fli settings by looking at the results for most of the cases. I couldn't yet find one picture that stands out in one or the other new fli modes.

The reason why I am saying that my converter is %100 not up the task yet is this: In theory 'clclclcl' is what we call DFLI, but the conversion error for DFLI is always smaller than the conversion error for the generic mode with 'clclclcl' settings. So, I can't trust the converter yet to create really good results for the generic mode, so it is too early to compare.
Maybe when I improved the optimization algo I will find proof that some pictures are better to convert to 'clllclll' than anything else (at least with my converter), but now this is still experimental...

The reason for not getting the same results as DFLI is very simple. DFLI handles every color as one variable, the generic case has chroma and luma components. The algo that tries every value and keeps the best is one dimensional, so it will not try all the combinations of chroma and luma that forms a single color to find the best combo. It will rather try every luma, keep the best and try every chroma and keep the best. It is 121 vs 16+8 cases and the two step method can't compare all the chrome+luma combinations (yet). So, in a sense the DLFI case is more brute-force-ish than the generic. I will work on that...

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024