Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

bubis
on 2018-10-30
05:38:48
 Re: sic-p4 image converter

Hi,

Please note, that the last 62x40 pic is not FLI at all. It is simple multi bitmap + rastering color0, color3 and xshift.

Dithering is a problem indeed. It is a generic well know issue that you lose details and error diffusion methods sometimes produce ugly patterns. I haven't found a good solution for both but there are very promising new dithering methods that solve one or the other. This is also on my list.

As for 320x200, I may add support for it but I don't think that is too interesting, maybe that will remain your special feature.

The motivation for this converter came from concrete cases what I needed but weren't supported by any other converters. That is done now, but I am sucked into this a little bit and I want to try out some of my ideas. So, I will work on this converter a little more and maybe come back to it time to time later on.

Stay tuned, I accidentally exploded the number of FLI modes and that will be included in the next release. wink

Update:

As for exploding the number of FLI modes: Do you remember what FLI stands for? Flexible Line Interpretation.
So, in the next release it will be really-really flexible! You can decide for every rasterline in a character row what kind of DMA (badline) you want.
For instance 'clllllll' will mean you want one chroma update and 7 luma updates per char row. 'clllclll' will have one chroma and three luma updates for every 4 rasterlines.
'c--l---l' will produce a normal badline sequence with one extra luma update in the middle of the character (semi-qfli ?).
You can even have 'llllllll' or 'cccccccc' where you have either luma or chroma updated in every rasterline!!! In that case the other component is pre-loaded before the screen window starts rendering and fixed for the whole column on the screen because we don't have time to update it (of course).

I think my converter is not 100% up to the task yet for these new modes but the results are already pretty good so, I will release this as an experimental mode later this week.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024