Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SpaceAce
on 2018-10-21
11:05:11
 C16 - No Video - Please Read

Hello! I received a NTSC C16 in the mail the other day and anxiously hooked it up. It was supposed to be a working unit - if I had a dollar for every time I've heard that! haha!

I connected it to a LCD TV via a video cable, connected power, flipped the switch and nothing (go figure). Keep in mind that I have used this same LCD TV for all my other computers and it works fine with them.

I've taken all the usual suspects out of it (at least the socketed ones) and tested them in a PAL C16 (I robbed a TED from to make a NTSC Plus 4 work) and all the CPU, PLA, and TED from the non-functioning unit work in the PAL C16.

I tested the 318005-04 kernal ROM in my Plus 4 - good.

I did receive a C16 Tutor cartridge with the computer and when inserted and the unit powered up, I get the startup music but no video.

Thoughts? I'm out of ideas...

Thanks in advance!

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-10-21
21:22:34
 Re: C16 - No Video - Please Read

Reading through your message I have a feeling, that you may have a problem with the NTSC signal, and not with the C16...
Eg. I have a DELL monitor very picky on composite signal quality, and also does not show anything, if the input is slightly out of standard. ZX Spectrum works, Plus/4 does not.

Maybe worth to test it with an other, surely NTSC compaible TV too.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2018-10-22
02:25:21

What happens if you use the RF modulator to attach the C16 to a normal pre-digital television? You should see a picture on channel 3 or 4.

If you dig around your shelf for an RF modulator, be sure it's of the same vintage and intent (1980s-early 1990s Commodore, Atari, TI) ... the ones for Nintendos and Segas are powered, and won't put a signal through since they won't receive power from the C16.

If you have video on RF but not on the RCA connectors, then there's a problem in the lines to the video port. If you have no video in either place, look closely for broken solders at the TED socket and within its cage.

Posted By

MIK
on 2018-10-22
09:16:48

Turn the C16 on "without" the cartridge plugged in and blind type this below:

VOL8
SOUND1,596,100

Don't forget to press RETURN after each line. All this will do is allow you to hear something from the computer just like you can with the cartridge plugged in... From this point of view the machine is working without the cartridge if you hear something.
BTW with C16/Plus4 BASIC you only have to type VOL8 the once and it will remember this setting until you change it or switch off, you can then type SOUND1,596,100 after this as many times as you like once the volume level is set.

But as already said, try a different screen or ask friends or family if they have an old 1990's style TV you could try it on as they are better for old computers and consoles.

Posted By

SpaceAce
on 2018-10-22
09:46:10

I will try to hook it up to another TV in the house.

Sadly, all of our older style CRT TVs were disposed of a few years back.

I will give your suggestion a shot MIK - I will report back.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2018-10-22
10:40:52

Old analogue TV tuner cards or USB digitizer sticks may also work if it is too hard to find a compatible TV set.

Posted By

SpaceAce
on 2018-10-22
11:54:32

@gerliczer - also a great idea! I think I have one of those around!

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-10-22
13:10:39

little OFF
Actually it is rather strange when I see in those old installation guides those external modulator stuff (to be linked to the old computers). I think we've never had similar things here in Hungary.

Posted By

SpaceAce
on 2018-10-22
18:14:34

@MIK - I gave it a shot and got audio as expected! grin

Now... just have to find a TV that it will work on. It's just really weird that all the other Commodores I have work fine with it and not the C16.

Thanks everyone for the help/suggestions!

Posted By

MIK
on 2018-10-22
21:59:49

The TV card idea brings up another idea... The video input of a video player might be another way to feed the picture to your TV, connect the video player to the TV and see if the video player picks the C16 up.

Or a TV box with a video input that would be used for say a DVD player or games console type thing.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024