Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Stinaris
on 2018-09-14
19:38:06
 GridIron V1.0 is here

Finally, V1.0 is finished and available for download: https://stinaris.itch.io/gridiron

Thanks to all that helped and contributed ideas to improve the game.
I have implemented all the ideas (I think). It's got a much gentler start now for those of us who are getting on a bit.

It now has extra levels (and more interesting ones).

The title music is a tribute to the Manic Miner symphony on the ZX Spectrum. happy

Right. Onto the next one.

Posted By

Spektro
on 2018-09-15
00:39:44
 Re: GridIron V1.0 is here

How do you control the ship? The game doesn't seem to respond to joystick and the keyboard control is somewhat random:

Up: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9
Right: 2, 4, 6, 8, 0
Down: W, R, Y, I, P, Return
Left: A, D, G, J, L, ;
Select/Fire: X, V, N, Shift

Is it supposed to work like this?

Posted By

Stinaris
on 2018-09-15
03:38:31

Joystick control. Are you using the right port?

The level designer is keyboard and joystick. The keys are presented at the top of the level designer.

Posted By

Spektro
on 2018-09-17
02:14:09

It appears to be an emulator problem of some sort. I don't know what's wrong but the game works on real hardware.

It's a nice game, the sampled sounds are cool happy

Posted By

Stinaris
on 2018-09-15
08:12:16

Which emulator are you using?

I tested in on Yape, mainly because it's awesome!

Really glad you like it.

It's my first game on the C16, although it was my 4th attempt as I kept running out of RAM.
I want to limit myself to C16 as

a) I don't have much spare time.
b) I want to develop with an understanding of how developers struggled back in the day.
c) Assassins have got the whole plus/4 thing smashed. Anything I do would just look crud.

It requires an awful lot of planning to squeeze games in. Hence I chose this as it's a conversion of the 16K Spectrum game, Transversion.
Although with a little bit of planning it's been expanded substantially with extra levels, sample sounds and a level designer.

I'm starting development of my next game right now happy

Posted By

Spektro
on 2018-09-17
02:09:05

I'm using VICE for Mac. I tested Pac-Pac on VICE and there were no joystick problems whatsoever. While playing GridIron on a real Plus/4 I noticed that the joystick control was a bit sticky. I thought it's the old joystick or that it's just part of the game.

Posted By

Stinaris
on 2018-09-17
18:11:00

Hi again,

I play tested on a plus/4 using those crappy C16/plus4 joysticks and on YAPE with a USB joypad (XBox style). Apart from the awful feedback the commodore "joy"sticks provide I don't notice any stickiness. The game is timed to the vertical blanking interrupt and was designed to run twice as fast. Maybe I got so used to the game it's something I haven't noticed.
When you get past level 10 the game doubles in speed.

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-09-18
01:25:52

Yep, the new one much better fits to my speed happy
Very cool, that a 16K game has digitized speech inside.

Well done!

Posted By

Stinaris
on 2018-10-11
14:25:21

Thanks. I'm converting it to C64 at the moment. Everything converted in a few hours including the sample playback. (I hadn't anticipated a cross platform development)

The only issue I'm having is making it make a noise. Always struggled with the SID chip! happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024