Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

nojeee
on 2018-09-08
13:56:08
 Major Blink - just ported to the Atari

Hello, I thought you might be interested to hear that I've just finished porting my 1985 C16 game Major Blink to the Atari A8. I've uploaded it to the AtariAge forums.

It was really interesting revisiting the old source code after all this time and it's good to know I could actually understand it! The gameplay itself went across very smoothly but I did have to make a few changes due to the colour and character set limitations of the Atari 8-bit.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2018-09-08
22:49:05
 Re: Major Blink - just ported to the Atari

Sounds great! Could you please provide a link to the forum post or perhaps to a video running the game? I'm curious to read about it or to see it, but I personally don't know anything about the Atari.

Posted By

Ati
on 2018-09-09
01:21:38

grin Thank you, i will try it.

Posted By

bubis
on 2018-09-09
04:38:25

Oh, I played your game 30y ago when I was a kid. It was great, I liked it! happy

Posted By

nojeee
on 2018-09-09
05:27:46

Here's a link to the forum page. I hope it works, I'm not too good with all this new fangled stuff happy

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282736-major-blink-c16-port-to-the-a8/

I don't have any video I'm afraid.

On a separate note; when I started to get back into 6502 programming I tested all of my old equipment and, unfortunately, my Plus/4 didn't work. It had been in store for many years so I wasn't surprised. I've finally managed to get a replacement from eBay. It was advertised as 'untested' and without power supply but I thought I might be able to get one working from the two machines. Surprisingly, it worked fine apart from a sticky keyboard which should be easy to fix. It was nice to see the Plus/4 display again wink

Posted By

Doug
on 2018-09-09
06:13:24

Hey Jon,

You're so lucky to have all your kit (working or not!) and your old source code. All mine made its way to the tip many years ago. Gutted, but back then who knew there'd be a retro scene decades in the future. Oh welll. Great that you're 'back in the saddle again'!

Cheers,
Doug

Posted By

Sandor
on 2018-09-09
06:56:18

Nojeee, your game was my moms favorite game of all time. She never played any other games on any other platforms, only that game. That game was the reason we had to install a plus4 emulator on her PC when our plus4 died.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2018-09-09
07:26:46

I'm a bit envious now for the Atari because they got a release from you. Now it's our platform's turn to see Berks III+ or even Berks IV! wink

Anyway, seeing Doug and Jon here on the forum is a similar feeling to the one that the mortal masons had when the pharao came to the desert to inspect their work. grin

Posted By

nojeee
on 2018-09-09
08:43:14

@Doug: Fortunately, I did hold on to all my old floppy disks from the 80's and always hoped that one day I could get the source working again. After I retired I looked into ways of extracting the files from aging disks and ended up buying a Kryoflux board and managed to resurrect most of my source (some was too damaged). Like you, I was amazed to see how active the retro scene is nowadays. It's been great fun getting back into it. I've been following your thread too, good luck with everything.

@Lavina: I'm really hoping to bring any Berks update to the Plus/4 as well as the Atari. They are the two machines that I've been most fond of over the years. I've seen some amazing games that have been bought out over the past few years but these have often been by teams of coders, artists and musicians. I won't be aiming to match those but I'm hoping that any decent free game would be appreciated.

Posted By

MIK
on 2018-09-09
08:55:19

If the reverse is even possible, as in Atari games ported to Plus/4 then a sneaky version of Dropzone has to be top of the wish list. grin wink

Posted By

Rüdiger
on 2018-09-22
00:09:41

Just found it at YouTube …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdtK80cmT6A

Posted By

Ati
on 2019-04-21
01:54:24

I tried Major Blink and Baby Berks on real atari. happy Good work, thank you. If i will go to árok, we will play with this games...

Posted By

MMS
on 2019-04-22
05:51:38

Really nice game! I even see some evident improvements VS C16 version .
(heck, I wish C= would have been released C16 with 32K RAM (more content could be added to the already great games (namely: more music/sfx effect or more gfx content or complexity),
Then certainly would have been called C32 happy )

(heh, some language issues in the sentences above, sorry (b) )

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024