Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Mad
on 2018-08-21
11:55:08
 Re: Starting off again

We choose to use TED sound out of different options.

I know SID is ultra nice and most people love the SID sound.

Even the real world musicians I know "prostrate" before this chip. I personally have heard a lot of SID tunes in my life and was really stunned by many of them. Since I am actually a C64 guy judging from my youth where the plus/4 was just the first computer I really got in contact for games. Most of the time I used a C64 and PC (and many consoles) since that was my longtime setup ( shame on me happy ).

There are some games for the C64 which support ram extensions and CPU speeders which look really amazing, I would have been proud to own them in the 90s. There is also a 256k Ram expansion for the plus/4, demos with it should also be utterly amazing. The Sidcard is also a extremely nice addon, and supported by many recent emulators..

However, somehow Degauss made this awesome TED tracks for his demos in the past and later took all the effort to produce a proper TED tracker for it. So the option to use a SID was not really needed for us and we were in the favor to use a fully native engine for our games and demos. I mean it's you choice, and Lavina is right that you can build much more atmosphere if you have some proper tunes which also could be played on the radio in some "obscure radio transmission at midnight".

The thing I missed most in the TED tunes was this glorious bass the SID provides. Our demos lead to some real interessting findings about TED music, if you play TED tunes on a big PA on a demo party then it could actually sound like a real Drum and Bass track with lots of bass and the normal sounds you would await from a proper bassy DnB tune, Degauss is the man grin. No need to add filters or something.

I mean it's completely your choice, however a normal TED tune would ensure that you support the complete range of 64k C16/Plus/4 etc, without the need of modifications..

Degauss made some code snippets for me to use the 3rd (virtual) voice of his player routine to play sfx. It's possible to use the other two voices for normal music playback. He even provided the windows based tracker for it. If you do need these code snippets I would be happy to support you in implementing them. For SID tunes I used Goattracker from Covert Bitops and also did the sfx with it, I think it's a good and safe option for games. Perhaps there are good other options, too..

Have to say that I love every demo with SID sound on the plus/4, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJUJBa0Ups8 (it sounded !way! more awesome on the party itself, it seemed that most people where blown away by this tune on the party (and we were surrounded by C64 demos in the oldschool compo..))

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024