Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

ScottC
on 2018-08-08
07:55:05
 Joystick/Pad recommendations

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a decent joystick or control pad I could use on my Plus4.
I have a joystick which works but it's really rubbish, I think it's a Quickshot 1 but I could be wrong.

I've heard not to use a megadrive pad which is a shame as I have one with an extension cable.

Is it worth getting an adaptor to use a C64 style stick so I could use the extension lead from the megadrive?.

Thanks,
Scott

Posted By

Charlemagne
on 2018-08-08
08:45:39
 Re: Joystick/Pad recommendations

Hello ScottC,

You can use almost every Commodore joysticks with an adaptor such like these:

https://www.google.hu/search?q=plus/4+joystick+adapter&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7uqWuvN3cAhUEfFAKHcT0B48Q_AUICigB&biw=2048&bih=766

With Megadrive Pad? Give it a try!

Have a nice day!

Posted By

ScottC
on 2018-08-10
03:26:52

Hi Charlemagne,

Thanks for the link.
I was under the impression that megadrive pads can be TED busters?

I'll get an adaptor on order.

Thanks,
ScottC

Update:
I've ordered a joystick adaptor from Commodore16.com
I'll use that with a Megadrive pad and see how it goes.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2018-08-10
03:46:04

Whenever and wherever I read about the joystick port implementation of TED machines, I had the impression that connecting anything more complex than wires and mechanical switches to them is an unavoidable risk to their safety, and most probably harming. If I were you I wouldn't connect that game-pad to the machine.

Posted By

siz
on 2018-08-10
08:47:31

I wouldn't try anything with built-in logic.
The problem is that Atari/C64/Amiga style DB9 joystick connector has a ground and +5V connections. On the plus/4 we also have a select line. The simple adapters just connect select to the ground of the DB9 part thus leaving +5V always connected and GND floating when select is not active. This causes random impulses in most of the joysticks which in turn destroy TED.
I've been thinking about an adapter with a simple logic where ground and +5V is always connected and directions+fire is masked (OR-ed) with select. I don't know if it would work or it would pull up all the lines and thus making keyboard operation impossible.

Posted By

ScottC
on 2018-08-13
04:33:01

Considering the comments from siz and gerliczer I guess I won't be using the Megadrive pad after all.
Is there a pad that is safe to use, or do I need to find a joystick?

I'd prefer a pad as a joystick feels unusual these days.

Posted By

siz
on 2018-08-13
04:44:37

I bought this one.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024