Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Spector
on 2018-06-12
05:23:32
 Who has managed to load tap files on this site from a cassette?

I'm just curious. The audiotap program turns tap files into a wav file, but has anyone successfully put the wav file on a cassette and loaded it into a plus 4? It never loads for me. I tried yesterday and failed again. Anybody here been successful?

Posted By

blinddarm
on 2018-06-12
08:11:37
 Re: Who has managed to load tap files on this site from a cassette?

Have you tried to load the wav file directly to the plus4 (e.g. using a mp3 player or PC)?
Maybe you have to adjust the speed of your cassette recorder....

Posted By

MIK
on 2018-06-12
09:41:22

The .tap images work on the real hardware when using the Princess C64SD
http://www.commodore16.com/

I've never tried playing them back on the real hardware but to save messing about it might be better to get a CD Cassette Adapter and play the wav files into the 1531 directly from PC. All you need to do then is to get the correct volume level on your PC.

The first ever C16/Plus4 tape images were wav files that I personally made and to be honest getting the volume level just right so it would load in Yape was not easy, this might also be true with the reverse...
To limit any issues that tap-wav apps might or may have I would first try a direct wav recording from tape. Rockman wav is one such game I did. Try using that as it's not converted but a direct recording from an original tape. A CD Cassette Adapter will make life easier as you won't need to record the audio every time, and if you master the correct volume level then it may well be the right level for tape recordings, or very close to it.

But yeah, getting the volume level correct is the key to getting any audio tap/tape working. This is also true for other computers such as the ZX Spectrum.

Posted By

Spector
on 2018-06-13
13:50:03

I can get games to load using a car cassette adaptor, but I was wanting to transfer the sounds to tape so I could send it to someone who was looking for five or six games. I thought it would be simple, but after two days of trying I realise it isn't.

The Spectrum is so much better than the Commodore machines for loading off tape as you see loading bars on screen which give you an excellent guide as to how strong the loading signal is. With Commodore, nothing but a blue screen. I managed to load Death River using a car adaptor no problem, but transferring it to tape is a nightmare. What a shame.

Posted By

MIK
on 2018-06-14
08:21:24

I'm not sure how to read Spectrum turbo bars but yes once the cassette player volume is set up to load games I then record that straight on to Sony mini disc and the games load fine from mini disc every time. Very easy to work with.

But yeah C16/Plus4 was not easy to make wav recordings from real tapes, the next game you try may not work or you need to readjust the volume to a new setting that stops other games loading.

If there is any hope, I would try a game that uses Novaload. If you can get a Novaload game to work then the volume setting must be "very" close to normal Basic loading. At the same time you won't have to wait long if it's a 16k game.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024