Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2018-03-21
01:28:50
 Re: Starting off again

Just a couple of things that may not help...

I don't know how close Nintendo's NES is to a Plus/4, also a 1 chip does all I believe.
Super Mario 3 is multi directional, however the machine can only scroll on one axis. To get the other axis to scroll an offscreen buffer was used. This process of using an offscreen buffer causes one side of the screen to display artifacts, palette changing colour ect. Not really an issue if a game is good if you get my meaning...

And as I'm sure your all aware, some of the big name classics like on C64 don't use the whole screen when scrolling. As you know this would of helped to maintain smoothness with the amount of independent action going on... Some examples: Ikari Warriors, Ghost'n Goblins, Bionic Commandos, Rick Dangerous 2, and even Turrican has a nice looking dash at the bottom of the screen. Every little helps and if the game is fun, the graphics are made to fit a smaller window you don't really notice either.

Ok... Enough of my crappy so called wise words - I'll shut the door on my way out. wink

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024