Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Mad
on 2018-01-22
10:11:21
 Re: Just a silly idea.. How about converting some game..

Hey Stinaris, just some side notices. I think there is no easy way around the limited softsprite capability. You mentioned using Rasters to color the screen differently [horizontal bands]. I think that is an good option to increase the colors usable per screen or sprite.

I think the main thinking about this sprite/color thingy is, were you want more colors. Behind the sprites or in the sprites itself.

First option is: Using more colors for the sprites itself. So you can use the 3 fixed colors for the background behind the sprites. You can color everything solid which can never be behind the sprites with more colors, though. This approach could produce color clashes when sprites "collide".

The second is: To use only the 3 fixed ones for your sprites and color all the background like you like to. The drawback is, that you just have relatively monochrome sprites then. However the color of sprites gets easily "removed" by the brain you don't feel a big difference by it when playing. You even can change the 3 fixed sprite colors on the fly, let's say at a level or region change, and the player wouldn't get angry by this (at least that's how it behaves for me).

The third option is: To just move by chars and not by pixels. An FLI mode for instance could make you use a 40x50 screen for it, which is slower in using it then, too.

If you use a bitmap mode, you have 2 fixed and 2 free colors per cell/tile which could change the approaches you can use slightly.

There are some more advanced techniques to combine the colors so that you do have color clashes but they aren't recognizable. Degauss is said to have produced a demo of such a mode in the past. I know this is not helpful, but as said there is no easy way around this color clash issue. If anyone has ideas about it, I would be also glad to hear them here.. happy

This is just what I "discovered" over time, and most probably not helpful..

So let's wait for RKSoft to explain if he found a way around this happy.. Could be that it's just the crossplatform editor he uses.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024