Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-11-05
13:42:31
 Online BASIC and ASSEMBLY Books

Although not exactly C16 oriented, a huge commented BASIC and ASM codebase is available from this link, the books are online.
Maybe it is already linked beforehand, but there are always some newcomers :-)

So~320 full books available for C64 (BASIC, Assembly, Tips and Tricks, Type in programs), C128, Z80 and C16 + Plus/4

Plus/4 Programmers' Reference Guide, and few others also available here.
As these files are really huge when you download them, the online check saves a lot of hard disc space.

https://archive.org/details/commodore_c64_books

(OK, it is a kind of annoying: why the links does not work? syntax seems to be OK)

When you find a nice PRG in the list, you can easily (though little slowly), enter it into a Plus/4 emulator, and try it yourself.
(but much faster and more error free than the typing)

If you have a good PDF reader editor, you may directly select the text in the PDF file.
PDF with text also good, but probably you need to download it then.
Otherwise export it to native text (it is an available option), but in this case (as visible below), the $ signs turned into a *, so they need to be corrected manually.
Maybe it is much easier to do this correction in a PC editor, Notepad, etc

Then the program line section need to be selected, Copy to the Clipboard (CTRL+C) then import into Emu (YAPE: ALT+V, Plus4emu: Middle mouse button )
(I am not aware of VICE and others).

When there is a line break in the book, then the lines need to be bring together manually in the Plus/4 emulator, the line breaks prevent the interpreter to understand these are together.

Copy the lines together, hit enter, then have the full line in the memory, with a single keystroke. I think it is very effective and fast!

More lines can be imported at the same time, if they are not too long, but after each line hitting an RETURN required in the emulator, till that time they are not in the memory, just on the screen.

(GAIA: would be nice if the YAPE would support mouse repositioning cursor clicks as in the Plus/4 Emu, as it could make the line entry process much faster)

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2017-11-05
09:49:34
 Re: Online BASIC and ASSEMBLY Books

"Plus4emu does not support this function"

Actually, it does, editing functions are assigned to the mouse buttons:

Left button = position mouse cursor
Right button = copy word under cursor
Ctrl + Right button = copy line under cursor
Shift + Right button = copy the entire screen
Middle button = paste from clipboard

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-11-05
13:32:15

Sorry for the mistake! I will correct it!

Update:
Istvan, I tried it, but something always goes wrong, please help to clarify it (sorry for my lameness).

So the text is copied in lower case characters, and not readible first. I swith to lower case mode, enter the lines into the memroy, but the characters and commands lost during conversion. I tried to start the machine with lower case mode, then the characters are readible, but then the same loss of commands will happen.
What's go wrong here? Thanks in advance.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2017-11-05
15:29:33

I think the problem is that the commands are upper case in the original text, and they are pasted as PETSCII upper case/graphical characters ($61-$7A). In other words, lower case letters should work, they are translated to $41-$5A.

Perhaps it would be better if case was ignored and all letters were converted to $41-$5A, or if the current character set (graphical or upper/lower case) was taken into account. In the latter case, the emulator could even be made compatible with copying/pasting the PETSCII graphical characters by translating them from/to Unicode.

By the way, there is currently a newer beta version at https://github.com/istvan-v/plus4emu/releases, but this did not change how the clipboard is handled.

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-11-05
16:12:36

Actually, you are right. I did not notice, but the only command remain OK was the "rem" because they all written in small caps.

I checked now 8 different books on the link with BASIC programs inside, unfortunately all using upper case charcters for the commands in the listing.
So unfortunately Plus4emu cannot help this task in this current form (...).

I may check VICE and some other emulators too.

Thanks for the Beta! I think I already downloaded and tested it beforehand, but my previous SSD broke down at a repeted mains interruption case, and I lost several folders and some installed programs.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2017-11-05
16:31:52

I will change it in the next version. For now, running something like this as a script in the debugger can be used as a work-around:

setBreakPoint(6, 0xD8E4, 3)
function breakPointCallback(d, t, a, v)
if d == 0 and (t == 0 or t == 3) and a == 0xD8E4 and getMemoryPage(3) == 1 then
local y = getYR()
if y >= 0x61 and y <= 0x7A then
setYR(y - 0x20)
end
return false
end
return true
end

Posted By