Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Hendrixe
on 2003-01-31
 Searching for Catacomb - Text-Adventure

Hello out there,

I'm still searching for the C16-text-adventure called "Catacomb". It started with a black cat following you. In the next screen there was a line i still remember today.. "a boulder blocks your way." When I was 6 years old, I could not solve the game due to my very, very limited english.. wink But today... if anyone has the .prg, please feel free to mail it to:
spam@hendrixe.com

Thanks a lot!
Hendrixe

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-01-31

We do have a poor crack of this game, we are looking into it but at this time it won't be made available... Yape also has a small bug that needs fixing before the game will display correct aswell....

As far as I know this crack is the only one available we know of, I don't have an original.

We'll let you know as so as possible what we plan to do. Sorry for now.

Posted By

AaronGale
on 2003-01-31
 Tapes

Lando, if you ever figured out how to load those compilation tapes I gave you check those. I'm sure this was on one of those?

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-01-31
 Hi Aaron

I've just had a look and it's not marked down on any of the tapes.. You might of been thinking of Cuthbert/Tombs which is on one of the tapes. Was its real name Cuthbert and the Catacombs?

and now for the good news! The Catacombs (ADV.) will be uploaded sometime in the near future happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-01-31
 Re: Cuthbert

Did I hear Cuthbert? You guys should know that series is one of my hang-up... I marked almost all of them in the db with messages like "If you have info, send it"... That includes Microdeal. I would love to know where that "other" Cuthbert came from. (I always knew and loved Cuthbert in the Tombs, but there's that other one...)

If you guys know something please add it or post it!!!

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-02-01
 Csabo,

I'm sure I've said before. They released a box set with 4 Cuthbert games in. I bought it and took it back the very same day. I did'nt know any better back then because 2 of the games did'nt run on Plus4. I think the box only stated C16. As software companys did from time to time they forgot to add the word PLUS4. Or in this case state C16 ONLY wink

Its was such a long time ago I don't remember the 4 games names.... I cry and its one mystery I want to find out again.

Posted By

Hendrixe
on 2003-02-03
 There it is...

Hi,
today I found the upload here; that's it! "The Catacombs" from "Anirog"-Software..

Thanks a lot!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-02-05
 Catacombs

This is a really weird adventure... Has anyone gotten far? I finally got out of the first two rooms, but the commands to do that were just impossible. In the third room, there is a sword, but you cannot pick it up... Any solutions?

Posted By

Hendrixe
on 2003-02-08
 Weird commands

Hi Csabo,
I could not find any solution; in the third room you can scare the demon by saying "boo" .. Just type "say boo" and see what happens...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-02-09
 Re: Solution

Actually by know I figured that one out happy It just shocked me when I found out all you had to do way 'say boo'. To pick up the sword, you need another character, who will "appear mysteriously". I actually got pretty far by know. The other two guys who follow you are Oswich and Silvester. Oswich is apparently a wizard (or at least he can cast spells!) I'm not sure what Silvester will be useful for. So further hints for players who are stuck:

- to make another character do something use "say to " format. The character's name must be capitalised.
- if the floor is slippery, try to 'crawl'ing in a direction instead of 'go'ing.
- you can 'turn' the 'statue' in any ''.
- if someone's singing is bothering you... maybe you should use an earplug of someking happy

I hope we can finish this! happy Good luck!

Posted By

Hendrixe
on 2003-02-09
 Re: Solution

Maybe my Dad still has the original game at home.. including manual & cover..

I remember that there was a list of useable commands and the background story.
There was also detailed information about "Oswich" and "Silvester".
I'll try to find the box and post some more information on this bizarre game.. happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-02-10
 Re: Original Cover

That would be great!!! happy I hope you find it happy

Posted By

Hendrixe
on 2003-02-13
 Original cover & tape found!

Hi,

I've just found the original-box of "The Catacombs". I've scanned the cover (two sided, including manual on back) and took a photo of the tape.

You can download the images at:
www.hendrixe.com/downloads/the_catcombs_cover.zip

If anyone is interested in hi-res scans for printing purposes, contact me:
palmodore@hendrixe.com

Posted By

Hendrixe
on 2003-02-14
 Tape found ...

PS:

The red sticker "C16" on the cover hides a "C64" logo.. The game was obviously ported from this system...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-02-14
 Woo-hoo!

Beautiful stuff! I guess it's implied that we can use the cover images on our site, right wink I also found the C64 version, it's very similar, but different, even in gameplay. That means a solution for the C64 version would not work (not that I found any). Great stuff! Do you have any more rare tapes laying around? happy A copy of 1942 maybe wink

Posted By

Hendrixe
on 2003-02-15
 More covers...

Of course you can use the images on your site, therefore I made them.. wink ..

We still have some games & game collections; I'll write down a list of availabe covers, so you can tell me which of them you need for your site... (Maybe my father still has got some old computing-magazines for the c16, if anyone is interested.. I'll have a look and will post the result of my researches into a new topic.. happy )

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-03-05
 Wow

Nice one on the cover! Seeing the sticker "C16" means it must be rare.. Was this mail order only? I know of one other game Anirog released that was mail order only, we don't have it. It was some Trivia type of game, maybe text only. I'll have to look it up again.

Posted By

Plus4Vampyre
on 2005-06-22
15:06:59
 Re: Searching for Catacomb - Text-Adventure

Can anybody tell me what to do in room 2? The c64 solution says "trace sign" but this command does not work in the c16 version.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-06-22
16:15:12

It's trace symbol. I've compiled an almost complete solution based on the C64 version, I'll put it up right now. Maybe someone has the time to finish it.

Posted By

sharky
on 2005-06-23
06:07:24

Hey, its great to know that Its not just me that struggled with this game.I would love to know how it finishes.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-06-23
09:30:43

In the other thread you mentioned that you had to write to a mag just to get the first line. This is not embarrassing, as the game is _very_ illogical. I remember reading it on some websites that it may have been the most illogical adventure game of all time... You are supposed to figure out commands like "block ears with fluff", with no clues from the game. Not exactly fun. Looking at the basic code helps though wink

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024