Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Hypex
on 2017-08-21
01:18:47
 Re: Possible 8501 replacement kit?

@MMS

Yes thank you for the welcome. Suppose I should open a thread to introduce my self since I'm rather a stranger in these parts. And soon one day hope to to realise the teenage dream of having a Plus/4. grin

1.) Yes your likely right. Think I take advantage and get me some.

2.) (Haha. I hear what you mean. happy I do agree. I got a bit obsessed when I found it. I sent off some RFQs just for interest. For quantity of ten. I only got one email back so far, from another German site, giving me a price of about 35 euro a piece. For an 8360! I don't recall looking for a TED. :-?

3.) That's some good advice there. Is there a FAQ here you could add those tips?

Personally I've always wondered if an active cooler on any IC can increase risk of damage. A heat sink is passive. But for active cooling, you have two opposing forces, heat and cool, coming together on the IC. That would look to cause stress and fracture structural integrity. Perhaps it's fine.

4.) Should a fan be put into the Plus/4? It would match the fins outside the case. happy

5.) I thought an 8501R4 would be unheard of until I saw it listed. But would it be any better? Would C= have finally have fixed the manufacturing process to match the proven 6510?

6.) I read about this and it is a concern. I was given a Plus/4 years ago from an Amiga guy who used to go to my Amiga club. He couldn't find the PSU. I opened it up and the whole board was stripped. If it had a CPU I didn't see it. I have another one I've confirmed as broken from a broken black screen.

My soldering was better when my eyesight was but I wouldn't want to solder a computer board. Even an older one. Perhaps I should just have ago against the rarity of working boards. Still, a Plus/4 would be easier than doing SMD. I could do the C64 PSU "fix" but I rather like the trendy square connector. And C64 owners are still looking for reasonable plug-in replacement for their very popular computer. happy

That CPU in a cartridge is looking good against accidental DIY damage. grin

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024