Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-08-02
21:35:14
 Re: Accents galore: Plus/4 World can...

First off, if anyone was checking the site in the past few hours, sorry for all the weirdness happy Plus/4 World is as amateur as it gets, and stuff like this should not be done "live". Anyway, seems like we're in business; year 2000 - here we come!

The technical details: the page's encoding has changed, along with the Programs table's default character encoding. What does this mean for you, the end user? The first part - hopefully nothing, but it is a big change, so I'm letting everyone know. In case you see something odd, please post it here. The second part: okay, so. Previously, as a compromise, we used the o + tilde (õ) for long ö. This of course is not in the Hungarian alphabet, but the actual character we needed never existed in ASCII. Then Unicode came along, and eventually became widespread. Without making all these changes (to both the site's code and the database), we could technically save long ö into the database, but it was actually saved as an HTML encoded character. (So, instead of being one letter, it was five, therefore; we could NOT use the like operator for searching.)

Apparently now we can happy

I did some tests on temporary tables, and everything looked okay, plus I backed up the Programs table, so I don't think we will run into any problems. If no-one sees anything broken, I will make the same change to all tables (including the forum).

That's it in a nutshell.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024