Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

JamesC
on 2017-07-24
11:39:10
 Re: Issue with Soccer Boss +4

JimmyCoupe - I warned, in my initial response, that this game has other problems. wink

1) This is a side effect of my changes. Including your own, there are 20 teams in your division -- occasionally a random number between 1 and 20 (as I did in line 3715) will match to your own team.

However, playing yourself gives you double counts on the league table. You record two games played that week, winning one and losing one (or drawing two), etc.

So, the fix in line 3718 assigns a team name (as a text value) to your opponent ... because for some silly reason, the game looks at a team name when compiling the weekly results; it doesn't look at the team number.

You might consider the "blank" team name as a matchup in which the other team concedes, or the game is called due to weather. You still receive ticket income, you still have weekly payroll expenses and other effects. This is more accurate to real life than when the game gives you an "off week" (even though you have a matchup on your schedule) -- in the game's implementation of an "off week", your players don't receive pay, they don't get injured during practice, no equipment needs replacement, etc.

2) If you recall, the yellow screen before each match is when line 3716 would give its error. This hang is irritating but at least it is a consistent length now. Before, the game would make up to 16k comparisons before giving an error; now, we make only 400 comparisons before forcing a matchup.

3) and your follow up post (weekly matchup results and the league table) are connected issues.

The weekly matchup result is calculated after your team plays, and if you watch closely another team may show two or three matchups on this screen. Yes, this list gets shorter as you continue gameplay.

The league table screen (black screen) has its own set of calculations, and you are correct in that many teams are not updated.

However, if you play long enough (during my testing, it was around week 41), everything will catch up! You will get a loooooooong list of matchup results, and the table screen will reflect the "just now reported" games. From here forward, the game works as expected. happy

While this long list of matchups, and the resulting update of the league table, are not accurate to reality ... they aren't caused by my code changes. It's a different bug.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024