Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-01-18
 Why do we have C16/Plus4 web sites?

I just picked up this new magazine here in the UK call "GAMES tm". It covers the best of todays releases on many platforms and also covers loads of retro gaming content from the past. The mag is cool in general and most of it I can related to because I was there happy

Anyways for me the plus4 played a big part in my gaming past and I'm always keen to see anything some one has to say and then I found it. We got one line in a section they called "Videogames history look back". In short it was one or two lines for each year starting way back from 1889. By the time they got to 1983 there was a whole lot more to say about what was going on and its here in 1983 they mention the C16.

Games tm quote:
"The Vic-20 and non-starter Commodore 16 were soon superseded by the Commodore 64. The 8-bit race was on!"

WHAT A LOAD OF BULL...... I've seen better but the machine was still slagged off in the same kind of way. What annoys me is these f**ks did'nt even own one and yet they some how always get it wrong.

I know back in the days of old the C16/Plus4 might of been the odd one out, but boy I think we faired very well with the quality of sortware that was released and much of that being only 16k. So although the C16/Plus4 scene might be small the content we and many other sites have kicks arse and this spells it out why we have C16/Plus4 web sites.

If you have any questions hit the home link on the above menu and take a tour around this web site and then tell me this machine was a non-starter.

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-01-19
 That's the way it is, I'm afraid

Most people talk about things they know nothing about as if they actually do know about it. I looked at that magazine too, and thought it was a wonderful tribute to "Crash" magazine, with the same layout and heavy Spectrum content. I did have a quick look for a mention of the C16, but couldn't see it anywhere, so the fact that you managed to see it at all is something. There was a place on the net which talked about old machines and they said "Commodore 16/Plus4 : 1984 - An absolute disaster." That's nice isn't it? Of course the machine had a smaller part to play in that period than The Big Two (three if you count Amstrad), but the best games hold up. And it's important to remember that it had a colour pallette that was comparable to the Sega Master System, and way ahead of all other machines in that price range at the time. That's what makes it an interesting machine to me. If only they had used the 64K of the plus4...

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024