Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

crock
on 2017-01-29
15:41:40
 Re: C= V364 revival project? (Plus/4 in new housing+Num keyboard)

MMS, it is my V364 in that video on youtube and I don't know what you saw, but it's not just an EPROM. To your points:

1) The speech synthesis is done by a dedicated Toshiba T6721A speech synthesis chip and is not done by SID on the 64 or TED in the 264. They play no part in the speech at all.
2) The EPROM contains the phonemes that comprise the vocabulary, not samples, and IIRC neither is it visible to the CPU. The EPROM is only accessed by the T6721A.
3) The mixing of the speech output and the native sound is purely analogue and is done on the V364 mainboard and in the magic voice cartridge. This is why the MV has audio in and audio out jacks.
4) The gate array is fundamental to it's operation, and is what the 264 kernal talks to by exposing 4 registers at $FD20-23 (I think).
5) As to no software support, yes there is. It's called BASIC V3.5, all the support for the speech commands is already there.

Could it be replaced by something simpler? Certainly. But before someone tackles that, you need to understand the principles by which the original works if you want it to seamlessly integrate.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024