Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-01-29
13:43:16
 Re: C=364 revival project? (Plus/4 in new housing+Num keyboard)

1) I modified the topic name to refer to V364

2) Well, actually on the v364 introduction on the yotutube it was visible, that the Magic Voice is mainly just an EPROM chip inside with the speech samples (???).

I supposed the C64 expansion utilises some independent 4 bit voice generator that is mixed to SID or TED sound, but no. It was purely done by the SID (and TED).
That's why there were no music in the background in the games supported the Magic Voice card on C64 (Wizard of Wor, and an Invader clone).

Yeah, wemay throw out the 3+1 ROM (as 364 should not have it) and swap it with a SAM EPROM module (you can start with F1 button)

Same speech quality, no gate arrays, similar syntax and VOILA happy

(While I understand "full reincarnation" approach, and my words seems to be a blashemy:
As even those mentioed games do not exist on Plus/4, and noone will create them, we do not loose any single programs's support with this approach, but will get a very same functionaly without pain. Actually we should keep in mind the basic users ("v364 kit"), and anyhow it will be a +4 in a 364 housing, somehow simulating it's function)

I am NOT against of any full reproduction, but it will be too complex for average users, as I see. Most of the guys do not have Solder's, BSZ or Hifi's soldering talent :-)

(In fact, in my daily work the PERFECT result is sometimes just a dream. If it fulfill the functionality and standard, and Customers do not feel anything from the miniature differences, or do not influence short/long term capababilities or customer satisfaction: it is OK. And we get back only 3-4 pieces from a million pieces of product we made. I hope you get my point)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024