Posted By

MMS
on 2017-01-09
13:48:42
 Re: VDC Challenge!

OFF
Hi Litwr,
"Amstrad CPC - the best pixel based graphics"

I suppose you refer here the CPC+ range 4096 color palette, as the original CPC palette of 27 fluorescent/bright colors are kind of funny... and no sprites too to extend it.
The 16 color per screen on resolution @160x200x16 not SO outstanding (well even with tricks you can have 27 on the screen, while on Plussy 121), though "no attributes" linear framebuffer is a nice part to able to program SW sprites.
320x200 with 4 colors was very well utilized with my fav SymbOS.
I agree the 640x200 is a nice feature of CPC for GUI and text editors with it's two colors, but then there is C128 VDC with same resolution, but with 16 colors.

(I counted here only the official modes, and no overscan and FLI)

BUT I think if we count really the best one, then we may refer only the CPC Plus range
It has huge 4096 palette, nice resolutions, linear framebuffer (no clash) and sprites.
C128 VDC was limited, the others had low palette(CPC) or lower resolution (SAM Coupe)

(eg. SAM Coupe seems a little more advanced than the basic CPC, as has similar linear frambuffer modes, just a little lower resolution (256x196x16), but with much bigger palette (128 colors, then 32000 after Kaleidoscope upgrade)).
C128 could offer not 2 but 16 colors in 640x200 resoltion, so it is better, then basic CPC machines.

ON
1) And we can see, what the proper faithful colors and rich palette can do with pictures happy
2) Most of those ATARI art are hand drawn, and I know by experience, what a huge job is
I know, that some of the referred ATARI GFX are already nicely converted to Plus/4, but I may challenge few of them too, like the Bruce, Christ or even the hardly recognizeable GnR :-D
(The Therion Slayer is something special, as it seesm not a real album art of the bands. (anyhow, I am not a big fan of Slayer gfxs and Therion arts have little confusing message)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024