Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2016-10-24
12:49:54
 Re: New discoveries on graphic CHAR command

Yepp, if anyone at Commodore TED team would seriously think about multicolor charset usage in BASIC (even with Graphic3 multicolor mode), they should have had implemented a SECOND standard commodore character set in multicolor mode in EPROM, you can easily use without the complete re-definition of the character set in BASIC. Need just one BASIC Command: CHARSET 1 (to 16) and the BASIC program could switch to hat speciafic memory location, and one fixed place could be the HUIRES, the other the MULTI (and the rest is up to the user)

There was an excuse in case of VIC20 and C64 (fixed place), but could not be the explanation in case of TED. C128 I am not sure, it uses a kind of VIC-II...

(charset redefintiion is damn slow in BASIC.
I know it, because I did it in the past once with DATA lines. Never ever again.
Except you store your special multi charset at an exact memory address and POKE the new charmap address for TED... But this is NOT pure BASIC any more, and will not work properly on C16 and Plus/4 in the same way, right? )

But because it requires more EPROM space, it costs money, so at Commodore may think: keep on with HIRES in BASIC happy

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024