Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-01-03
 Where to go from here?

For a while I've been thinking I should open up a topic to discuss the future of this site. I'll write down a few things that I have in mind. If you have any ideas/requests, feel free to reply to this topic!

- Finish my xyz map. I've been working on a new game map (secret wink) but it's so hard to add the final touches.

- Work on the database. I already do this daily, but there's still tons of data to be added. All the guys who signed up as editors, when can we see some actual work? wink (Thanks to those who add infos!)

- Implement instant messages + who's online. This is what's next.

- Add a 'forum smiley help' page. I meant to do this for so long, needs to be done.

- News search + forum search. Okay, this is one of the things that I'd like all you to give me your opinions. Should this be done on a separate form, or should I add it to the existing search engine? I think that the latter option would be nicer, that is if one searches for "Manic Miner", they would get the game, plus all the topics in which it was mentioned, plus any news items where it's mentioned. I think the more results the better. However, maybe someone would like this to be separate? Any objections?

I guess these are the things on my list that I want to finish first. Down the line, I have the following ideas:

- Hardware database. E.g. each machine, plus each peripheral would be an entry. I see lots of searches in the logs for "1541" or sometimes "joystick".

- Publications database. Each book, magazine would be an entry. It would be cool to see how many and what books have been published in what years, etc. (James, if you remember once you sent me a list of US publishers... This is where those companies would fit in!) I'm even thinking we could somehow tie in a want to buy/want to sell link. E.g. If someone is looking to buy a particular book, he/she could make a note.

- The Plus/4 Encyclopedia. This will be my biggest project yet. It's a knowledge base, which already has been started, but needs to be finalized. It's a standardized, free and open place to collect any and all information about the 264 family. More on this later.

Okay, it's feedback time for y'all wink

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-01-03
 one thing I'd like...

I noticed on some games, there is info including the exact date of release, like for example with "Bandits At Zero", which I think is brilliant, because it means I can pinpoint roughly when it was I bought the game and played it myself, which I couldn't do if it just said "1986". It's difficult, I know, but if we could get more release dates, that would be useful.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-01-03

The Forum should have its own search and not to be mixed up with the database. How many time have I said TOM THUMB over the last couple of years wink

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-01-03
 Csabo's Priorities

This is only my opinion, all flames should be mailed to whocares@idonot.com wink

1) Instant Messages. I don't know how many times in the last year I've posted immediately after someone else and they don't know for hours.

2) Finish the map.

3) Smiley help page.

4) News and forum search. This is another thing where Neopets has it right -- search for a term and you get a clickable list of anything that contains that term. From there the user can determine which one they need. (in other words, combine the searches)

5) Database updates. I get frustrated when I have my own projects to do and there's a note "where's the help???" on the forum.... I'm not trying to dodge any responsibility here, but I've promised some things to others also, and balancing can be hard. (The others doing the updating don't have access to News page to tell everyone else that they've done something)

As far as hardware database, there are plenty of sites that document the Plus/4, 16, 116, 232, etc, as well as info for the disk drives and other stuff. I admit sometimes it's not easy; I myself searched for a couple of weeks before I found what I was looking for on the 1551 before I received mine. I am attempting to do such a thing on my own site, but as I said about balancing..... it's a matter of sitting down, writing code, and uploading pictures. I would hate to get this 90% complete to find a note on here "Csabo has completed the hardware database" so if you are gonna do this I won't do mine. There is nothing I hate more than duplication of effort. Except brussel sprouts. And liver.

Publications database: as I come across magazines that have useful Plus/4 info in them I try to obtain scans for my site. Once again, duplication of effort....

Plus/4 Encyclopedia: sounds like an expansion of SVS's Ultimate ROM list and a tips-n-tricks page. Can you elaborate or give a link to what's already been done?

Oh, just a BTW, the 'unscramble' program that was discovered a few days ago is a component of a set of disks on my Yahoo download page. I have lagged adding this to my website due to copyright concerns.

Okay I'm through venting now. I think.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-01-03
 Lando -->

(another case of posting right after someone else)

if Csabo breaks up the search results so that programs come first, then news, then forum.... then it would be easier for someone to locate the link they need.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-01-04
 Replies

Thanks for everyone for the feedback. Spector: You are right about the importance of the dates. The field in the database can take a complete date, but for most cases we just don't know. We need people who can remember (or find out) this kind of information... Do you know anything about the history of the C16 from that time? If so, you could become a member and update some dates yourself!

Lando: the game in question has been mentioned 62 times on this forum so far (I didn't want to write the name to make it 63 happy)

James: The hardware 'database' has already been on our site for years (made by Lando). It's accessible from our index page (bottom left), or here's the Plus/4 link for example. I just want this to be made searchable, so when someone looks for 1531, they would get a hit and see that it's a tape device. Once there, I will probably include links to sites where info on that particular hardware can be found (e.g. your site etc.) Your magazine scans are nice, I've always praised you for them, please don't stop making them. The publications database will include books as well. It would tell a user what books/magazines were published in 1986, or what books were published by LSI Atsz, or what programming books are available in German. (You don't have such plans, do you?)

The Encyclopedia will encompass so much more than the ROM list. The two main areas that do not exist anywhere right now are historical and glossary information. It would include technical info as well, of course. (To reiterate: any and all information about the 264 family.) Here's a few examples of topics: who founded Commodore, how much the machines cost originally, what does DYCP stand for, what bits does STA affect, how to code a Tech-tech or open up the border, lastly: emulator issues. A lot of people know stuff (including you and me), but none of us knows everything. The purpose of this knowledge base is to let everyone contribute with whatever they know. If people will like this idea, the community can build a book, an encyclopedia.

One more thing: you were one of the people who signed up and actually added info (I have it all logged). So for you (and the others who helped) I sent that thank-you. Sorry that you feel frustrated, but that comment was not directed at you. There are those who signed up and did nothing, you know who you are wink

You have a Yahoo download page? I didn't know. Can you give me the URL?

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-01-07
 another one...

I hope I'm not repeating what someone else has suggested, but what would be really good would be transcriptions of the original instructions from games, so we know how to play them. A lot of us could certainly help out there.
By the way, are there any reviews of C16 games on the net?

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-01-07
 Well I talked about Tom Thumb a lot..

You could call it a review wink

In case you might of missed it check it out here. Also click on the "More info" button link which will take you to another Tom page wink

There are also 5 games reviewed (2002) here at the bottom of the page: http://www.goodolddays.net/hof/system.php?system=5

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-01-08
 Re: another one...

Spector, that's another good idea, and indeed is in our plans. In fact Lando has done some of that work on the old pages (here's an example), but it hasn't been incorporated into the database yet. I have none of the original games so I can't do much on that side. This is why we need people who have original images to sign up and contribute happy

On top of cover texts, we want to have information like: goal of the game, game rules, keyboard/controls, scoring, solution for games. This takes years! There are a few games in the database that have this kind of info entered.

Also here are a few reviews from Dodgy Geezer: Link.

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-01-09
 How I would do it

If I was to start doing the original inlay text, that would be all it would be- ie brief plot description, controls and even the loading instructions as they are presented on the original inlay card. Regarding solutions etc, I would keep that seperate. Some people might go to the page finding how how to play a classic game and finding that their eyes stray to the bottom of the page, and they catch a bit telling you how to complete it and that's you wasted it. They should be in a seperate file for those who want them. I have some tapes that could be transcribed, and I may well get down to doing that if you are interested.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-01-10
 Re: How I would do it

Good suggestion, that's how I planned it too. Same as with the maps. If a game has a map, you just see the link, but you have to open it separately (those have spoilers too). Solutions would be the same. I have a few games that I solved, and the webmaster of the C64 solutions has been kind enough to let us use the solutions that apply to Plus/4 games. I really should add them already, but they are still down on my todo list...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-01-13
 Re. Things Done

My map (Finders Keepers) is done, and so is the forum help. Every time one replies or posts a new topic, there's a link at the top (Forum Help). It lists all the 'auto'-smileys and basic formatting. (It opens in a new window.) I hope you will find it useful.

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-01-21
 Good works:

the visitors' table, and the forum help!

About this one, could I write some suggestions? (more work... I know wink
a) The forum help window shoud be smaller, and with "always-on-foreground" flag set; so that you can see it, by staying on the "writing" window;
b) the smiles could be buttons so that you can insert them by clicking over.

Thank you, Csabo, in advance!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024