Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2016-06-27
10:26:48
 Re: How much ROM is faster than RAM

I wouldn't say misinformation, just confusion, because the original question, and several of the terms used are ambiguous. Otherwise several (seemingly contradictory) things said above are correct. Let's break it down:

Time it takes for the processor to read one byte (basically an LDA statement): it's the same. For example, an LDA$8000 could read either from ROM or RAM, but it will be always exactly 4 cycles. (This was correctly pointed out by Degauss and zorkon above.)

Time it takes to read byte from BASIC (which is what I suspect SVS is originally asking): this could very well be different, I'm going to trust what Litwr said above. However, it doesn't have to do with the speed of RAM or ROM chips, but rather how the BASIC statement is translated to machine code. If there's more paging involved for one of them, it will be different.

And finally, the actual speed of the RAM and ROM chips: probably different, but this doesn't matter. I know nothing of hardware stuff, but several folks pointed this out, so I'm going to assume they are right.

Now, did that clear everything up? happy

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024