Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Sidney
on 2016-04-30
15:51:42
 Has my C16 died???

Pretty much what the title says! There I was looking forward to a good old blast on the old c16 when I hear a click and the display is a mash of gibberish squares and other non C16 start up stuff, if I reset it displays other crap! Sometimes some random chip sounds, not looking or sounding good! what is the fault and can it be saved?? Please help!!!!

Posted By

StacyB
on 2016-05-02
17:31:23
 Re: Has my C16 died???

Sounds like the TED chip is faulty (MOS 8360). Do you have another C16 or Plus/4 to swap chips with?

Posted By

Sidney
on 2016-05-05
07:20:55

Luckily I have another C16 that I managed to get but I a loathe to strip it out as (at present) it works well, I would lie to repair /get repaired my older machine. How easy is this to do?

Posted By

StacyB
on 2016-05-05
16:36:36

It is not very difficult. Just be careful not to bend any pins. You can remove the 8360 with a flathead screwdriver.

You will see a half circle on one side of the chip. When you put the chip into the other machine make sure the half circle is on the same side as the half circle on the socket. Also be careful that all of the pins line up with the holes. Then press down carefully but firmly.

If the faulty machine works with the other chip then the chip is bad.

I have TED chips for sale. The price is $12.60 plus shipping.

Posted By

Sidney
on 2016-06-06
19:45:03

Update- Lacking the courage to tamper with my C16 I decided to contact Mutant Caterpillar in Wales, these great guys had brought my Zx Spectrum 128+2 back from the dead, could they repeat the trick with my C16? The answer was a resounding yes! After a chip replacement and some heatsinking on all the vulnerable chips my beloved C16 is restored and is now A1! I can't recommend them highly enough and they are very reasonably priced too.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024