Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Spector
on 2002-12-30
 Using Pokes on a real C16

Where do I type in a POKE for a game I'm loading up - for example "Manic Miner" infinite lives? Do I interrupt the loader near the start, or is there a point later on that I type it in?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-12-30
 Re: Pokes

To use those pokes, let the game load and start. Then stop the game with Run/Stop + Reset, this will take you to the Monitor. Type in those cheat codes (>nnnn nn commands), then use the restart code (Gnnnn command). This is the usual way of entering cheats, it should work for any game that doesn't have a reset protection. If the codes are not in hex format, then exit to basic with "X" first, type the POKEs and re-start with a SYS command.

Posted By

Spector
on 2002-12-31
 Thanks

It's so easy to use, and so quick, like having an in-built Multiface(a Spectrum add-on). Were you able to type in cheats this way on the C64?

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-12-31
 Re: C64 cheats

Nope, the C64 didn't have a RESET button. One had to purchase an add-on board for that, or wire their own.

Posted By

Spector
on 2002-12-31
 By the way...

The cheat for Manic Miner doesn't work, at least on a real C16 it doesn't. The first 3 levels are fine, but when you get to level 4, the Miner Willy sprite is gone! Everything else is the same, except your character is invisible, so it can't be played. Schade.

Posted By

AaronGale
on 2002-12-31
 Added a cheat for this

Hi Happy New Year,

I've added a few cheats for this game which I'm pretty sure work. I've noticed I run a COLOR command and the start address is slightly different so maybe I run some initialization code the G 2970 doesn't.

Note that for some reason my cheats split the original cheats in two!

For quick reference the cheat is:
RESET machine
POKE 10766,X X=No of Lives
POKE 10887,234
POKE 10888,234 Infinite Lives
POKE 13931,96 No More Nasties
POKE 14386,96 Moving nasties are harmless
COLOR 4,1 This is required
SYS10624 Restart

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-01-01
 Entering into basic

I know I'm doing something wrong- the game loads and I press runstop+reset to enter into the monitor. I press x to go into basic to type those pokes, but all I get is BREAK and then the usual couple of lines of hex ie. I'm still in MONITOR mode. I try everything, but I can't get into basic mode at all, bugger. Surely I don't just press RESET once the game loads? Wouldn't that just wipe everything?

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-01-01
 ignore last post

Just tried it the way you said, using reset without runstop, and it works of course. My inexperience with C16 matters is obvious, but that's a clever thing that, a soft reset button. If only the C64 had that...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-01-01
 Reset

Lots of games survive reset. It wipes out lots of stuff from below $1000, and the first three bytes from $1000. But like I said, it should be ok for a lot of games.

This is why I prefer hex codes by the way. Don't forget that POKE is equivalent of the > command, and SYS is equivalent of G in monitor. All you have to do is convert the numbers to hex.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-01-01
 Wow

We have posted the last two topics at the same time!!! wink

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024