Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chicken
on 2016-03-31
15:29:52
 Re: Majesty of Sprites II the lands of Zador

MMS: What's the point of comparing platforms that have something in common and even more differences? The plus/4 is neither a big VIC20 nor a small C64. The plus/4's color palette outshines most other 8bit machines. Certain color restrictions exist even on bigger machines. And every machine's programmers have found some way to deal with it. Be it color clashes or clever raster interrupts or whatever.

Speccy's huge software catalogue has nothing to do with the Speccy being a better machine than the plus/4.

About the comments on Pouet: I do agree that the main character sticks a bit out – especially due to the amazingly colorful backgrounds. In my opinion that's partially because of the character's design and choice of colors (and less because of the technical limitations that apply): Rather big filled areas and somewhat "dull" colors. (Sometimes limitations ask for a certain design/character: I doubt that anyone would call the Last Ninja "flat" looking even if it's mainly black!) So yes, I think there's still some room for improvement but that's a tiny point compared to the overall achievement. It's an awesome game!

Some of the comments on YouTube were pretty lame because those people judged the scrolling by watching a video. Not even an emulator comes close enough to the real experience on original hardware. And yet, these people say that the plus/4 is obviously not a game machine. If they were right, we should consider removing this section: Games wink

Obviously, some of the people commenting on Pouet don't know the plus/4's software catalogue very much. Even some C16 (16kb that is) games have huge or at least big levels (e.g. Tom, Tube Runner, Xcellor8, Thrust, Molecule Man). Though, that doesn't make the levels in Zador less impressive.

On sprites and colors … Remember Degauss' small demo with priority checks? I know, games and demos are a different story but that's a concept I haven't seen applied in any game and it sure looked promising. So I do think there are still paths untravelled and there's life after MOS, AIT and MOS II happy

Anyway, thanks to all the people involved for bringing the Lands of Zador to our machines!

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024