Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chicken
on 2016-03-05
13:20:42
 Re: Composite video to VGA converter

What's the native resolution of your LCD monitor? Does it have an aspect ratio of 4:3 or 5:4? It's hard to tell from your photos. If it's not 4:3, that might be an issue.

Yes, the video signal is the same. (Not going into details and all the possibilities to mess with the signal on plus/4 wink )
Though, there are some differences between plus/4 and C64 "screen content". Different dot clock causes larger pixels (in x-dimension) on plus/4. So sometimes with a C64 hooked up to a display you have quite a bit of visible border area on the sides and with a plus/4 you can barely see it.

Another issue: The S-VHS output on plus/4 suffers badly from crosstalk. TLC pointed this out to me some years ago. I've never noticed this back then on my 1802 monitor. When I checked this on a bigger TV with composite input I was surprised that the luma signal alone is pretty colorful happy

So in many cases the composite signal offers better picture quality, even if the S-VHS signal should provide the better quality theoretically.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024