Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Litwr
on 2016-02-16
11:04:20
 Re: Commodore 16 price at 1986

I see a contradiction in the facts of the presence of C16/+4 at Western Europe after 1986 and the complete stop of software development for this platform since that time.

There are some explanations about the title " "failed Technology" from its author.

I had a look at the Forum you posted and I am sorry that someone said my page is annoying because of I mention the C16 as "failed Technology". However, that is just a Headline that should not be taken too serious, every page get's one that is something Special about the Computer. In the case of C16, it's not really the fault of the Technology, as you may know, the C116 was planned as a 49 USD Computer to compete with Sinclair under Mr. Jack Tramiel (President and founder of Commodore).

Later there was a C264 (79 USD) and V364 (149 USD) planned.

After Tramiel left Commodore in 1984, Prices shot up and the C264 became the Plus4 which costs 299 USD instead of 79. The TED was one of the best Video Chips especially in his planned Price class, simply it did not fit into the high price range that Commodore later wanted the Computers to be sold in. They marketed it similar to C64 but it should have been an entrance Level Computer below the C64 range. So the given Technology failed at least in so far, that it did not do what consumers expected for that high Price. Later on and especially in some countries, they were successful, because they were sold cheaper which was the original concept anyways. So would there only be the C116 or C264 for the cheap Prices, it sure would have had an bigger Impact on the market and they would have not got the Image of being "failed" [to compete with the C64].

To the numbers:
The numbers of Germany are offical Commodore numbers, given by Commodore Germany (Deutschland GmbH) Marketing Department. Those numbers are until 31st December 1993 and before.

For the world wide numbers, I got that from here:
https://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/Commodore_16
(The production of C16 worldwide are over 1.266.000)

I am not sure where this number comes from, as there is no source given. But I will search on more informations and always try to improve the page and learn more. Should I ever find a valid source, I will tell you.

The planned Prices for C116, C264, V364 etc. come from the developer BIL HERD, you can find my interview here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCNMkgYS03w

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024