Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chicken
on 2016-02-13
11:20:39
 Re: Blank cartridge boards

I'm not at home, so I don't have my files here. That's why I can't go into details.

Well, there is/used to be a semi-standard for carts/proms on plus/4: "burn files" (starting at $4000). These are supported by at least two different eprom burners (probably by all burners on plus/4) and by the various internal and external sRAM expansions. It's just that this is not widely known (anymore). I didn't have the sRAM cart in the old days and didn't have the time use it a lot when I finally got it. Though, that goes for all my plus/4 hardware

Solder coded a tool to create these burn files and a starter menu etc. There's a English manual for his "Modulgenerator" out there. The process sounds complicated but it's pretty straight forward. It's just that the software has a couple of features that need to be explained. You can use carts that already exist or use other programs and create "cart versions" (there are some "burn files" around which include collections of tools etc).

His sRAM expansion can be used in different modes, e. g. to test carts (it acts like a cartridge then) before burning them into eproms (which you don't have to do if you own the sRAM expansion wink ). Or you can use it as buffered RAM (as simple as using a T command in monitor). Furthermore, you can store some setup data for OS96 in sRAM. I don't have OS96 on any of my machines, so I can't really tell you anything about this feature.

If you work on real machines, it doesn't hurt if you can use a SID-card and a tool collection on a cart at the same time. That's why I got the expansion port splitter.

I do like EasyFlash's simplicity (and the small price) but it's for ther wrong machine. I'm not saying something like that can't be adapted for plus/4. (In fact, I think many of the hardware expansions out there could be adapted for plus/4.) But I can't do it and I don't know anyone who will do it. The plus/4 "scene" is small and a bit fragmented – meaning many of the ppl who have hardware knowledge and skills are not here but active on other "less plus/4 oriented"/local forums. Well, it's getting pretty off topic now.

crock: I found the chart I was talking about:
http://solders-home.de/pub/files/commodore/plus4/hardware/MODULE.GIF

And cbmhardware has been working on C16 carts, too:
http://www.cbmhardware.de/c16/schematic/c16cart_board.jpg

It's probably not the latest version, I just copied the link from a different forum. Might save some time to contact him.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024