Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2016-02-13
10:22:27
 Re: Blank cartridge boards

I agree, that EasyFlash is a nice and modern card, with USB support and it is a nice feature to have 8 Kernals at once.
(and if you buy one, it os only 30-35 €)
But it does NOT exist on Plus/4, and there serious differeces between a C64 and Plus/4 in this aspect. It is not a big surprise, that there were no converted C64 cards to Plus/4. There are some lines just do nor exist at all on the Plussy expansion port. So the chance it will be realized on Plussy, is rather low. The HW is different, and need the SW to be rewritten (as usual). Also, we have no standard CRT format to load.
Or what do you think? There was no PDF about the hardware to investigate it deeper.

In fact, if we want something really BIG, then the http://www.ide64.org is much better and bigger with a compact Flash
card. As I read, even CDROM , LS120 or ZIP drive cn be connected...Oopps, no IDE DOS SW for Plussy.

For the silly plugin ROM version idea:
It is straighforward, simple to swap and cheap, no? 1-1 128KB 8 legged DIP/PDIP (if may work with Plus/4) you can program via i2C could do the job it a small package, with low power. What is the price, 1 or 2USD/piece?

Those classic games (even the converted ones, or TCFS games) do not support the SID sound, this swappable "games" cartridge will not need an expander, simply because they cannot do anything with BSZ's SID Card (I have one too).
And if you swap the EEPROM, it will become a TOOL cartridge. And swapping the ROM is way faster, than continuously burn again and again that limited Flash content of the Easyflash. 8 position is not SO much.

On the other hand, you need an EEPROM burner for this task, or do a more complex burner device. OR someone who will do the job for the scene for a certain price. I think the EEPROM is 1USD, and the postage cost is significantly reducing if more cartridges ordered at the same time. I would be happy to pay 5USD per a burned 16K EEPROM.

For Solder's SRAM card: how it works in practice, when you switch it on? Does it have a starter PRG?

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024