Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chicken
on 2016-02-12
16:19:43
 Re: Blank cartridge boards

gerliczer: I was just pointing out that something somewhat similar already exists. Plus, it uses banks a/f – something Crock wondered about. The sRAM card is more than just an "emulated" EPROM card. Plus, there's existing software that supports using it.

On a side note: It requires the expansion port splitter, anyway. Though, at least that addressed the unavailablility of expansion port connectors and suggested a solution by introducing a connector that's available. A problem many ppl don't think about. If you just need one cart, that's fine. But if you want a SID-card and a cart?

I totally agree that there are more modern designs, which are sometimes easier to use (given the software support on our platform – which is another story) and most likely cheaper to produce. My only problem with C64/Spectrum/(INSERT ANY OTHER PLATFORM HERE) hardware add-ons – we had many discussions on numerous devices before and NONE of them were put into a C16 prototype, leave alone a production version. Btw, BSZ's awesome SID-card doesn't count, it's a "homegrown" plus/4 project. And if it wasn't for BSZ, we'd still be waiting for Jurek's SID-Card rendition like 10 years ago.

Long story short: If you find someone to build and sell it, I'm willing to sign up for 2–3 carts. If it's just another link to an interesting hardware project on a different platform, (from my experience) it's not worth bothering about.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024