Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Brad
on 2015-12-01
20:06:00
 Plus4 with SD2IEC

I have been running some games fine with my SD2IEC on my Plus4, however, some games show bad video when the game loads. I tried a backgammon game and Treasure Island worked great.

I then tried Kickstart and Thrust which show garbled video but the sound is fine. I have tried two power supplies and the Plus4 seems to work great.

Is there something I am missing to get all games working with the SD2IEC? I use the FB loaded to start the games.

Thanks!

Posted By

craftsman
on 2015-12-01
22:54:54
 Re: Plus4 with SD2IEC

I loaded up both games with my sd2iec and FB with JD just fine on my c16. They both appear to be PAL games. What country are you in as they might have and NTSC machine.

Posted By

siz
on 2015-12-02
03:17:26

It's normal with SD2IEC and JiffyDOS to have bad video output during load. I haven't really checked but it seems that JiffyDOS switches to NTSC mode during its fastest load operation for faster timing. (Assuming you have a PAL plus/4 with PAL JiffyDOS)

Posted By

Brad
on 2015-12-02
05:40:38

There is not a video problem during loading but only when the game starts. I have a NTSC Plus4 so maybe the problem is they are PAL games?

How can I tell if the games are PAL? If they are PAL shouldn't the picture look normal overall instead of wavy lines?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2015-12-02
06:30:27

@Brad
Usually, the game page lists the TV system. Look for the Machine: lines. PAL TV format is quite different. It is normal to see completely garbled screen.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-12-02
07:58:32

Hey Brad,

It's very likely that it's the NTSC vs PAL issue. If you have a few minutes to spare, maybe you could try this:
- Load and run KIKSTART
- Press Run/Stop + Reset, this will take you to monitor
. Type >2162 D0 and press return/enter (this turns the game's code from PAL only into NTSC only)
- Type G2000 and press return/enter to restart the game.
Let me know if it works!

Posted By

craftsman
on 2015-12-02
13:45:15

Csabo, good information to know.

Posted By

Brad
on 2015-12-02
20:25:59

Thanks Csabo!!

I loaded Kikstart and could not see anything on the screen but the audio was fine. I then used your commands and then I could see just a little on the screen but it was rolling bad. I also noticed the audio no longer sounded correct.

It does appear to be related to PAL -> NTSC. When I load NTSC images they seem to work fine but not all PAL and NTSC games work. I also tried on an LCD I thought worked ok with PAL but I do not get a picture. Any reason?

Is there a way to download all NTSC images? Most are PAL but it would be nice to get a collection of NTSC.

Thanks!!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-12-04
08:30:20

Sorry, I guess I rushed that NTSC fix happy It's not as simple as that. I did make it work, please try this (same instructions, but more bytes have to be changed):
>2039 D8
>214C D0
>2157 D0
>2162 D0
>2168 24
The game will run, but with slight graphical bugs: it just wasn't designed with NTSC machines in mind. If it looked okay-ish, I'd make an "official" NTSC fix and put it on the site, but as it is, it's a somewhat ugly hack. Still playable though!

Unfortunately there's no way to download all NTSC games at once :-/ The only way to do it at the moment is one-by-one.

Posted By

Brad
on 2015-12-04
23:44:41

Wow.. your commands work great! Kikstart played great! Thanks! I figured I'd try the commands with Thrust but the Plus4 did not go into the monitor mode with Run-Stop + Reset unlike Kikstart.. Is that odd?

Is there a way to go into the Games section and sort by NTSC? That would be extremely helpful.

Thanks again!

Posted By

Chicken
on 2015-12-05
20:29:28
 NTSC compatible programs

Hello,
unfortunately, those changes won't make other games work on NTSC machines. It's a custom NTSC fix for Kiskstart only. Every single program has to be manually fixed. In a few cases (especially demos with lots of TED stuff) it's impossible.

There are a few coders who are either from NTSC land or less ignorant about NTSC compatibility than most of us wink

Check out Csabo's programs. He usually (or always) pays attention to NTSC compatibility.
Additionally, Jim Hehl aka BushRat's progams should run on NTSC machines. He even fixed a few previously PAL-only games.

About reset+runstop: Some games have a "reset protection", that's normal. Also, it's not always possible to stop and restart games at any point. Sometimes there are certain memory locations which are used by the game's code which get overwritten when you reset the machine.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024