Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

marco
on 2002-12-12
 GEOS

Hi, pls someone can help me to load and run GEOS on plus/4 (or plus/4 emulator on window)?

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-12-12
 GEOS +4

GEOS for the Plus/4 works only with a 1551 disk drive. It will not load on a 1541 due to copy protection and turbo routines that depend on 1551 ROM code.

Therefore, it also will not run on an emulator.

You may check in on my website occasionally, to check the current status of GEOS +4 as is being converted into English and allowing use with a more common 1541 disk drive.

Posted By

marco
on 2002-12-13
 GEOS +4

many thanks James, i will check on your web site. Could you give me a forecast for GEOS +4 conversion end?

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-12-13
 GEOS +4

I am currently awaiting a chip for my 1551 (hello Jim??????) so that I may properly load GEOS into my system and examine the copy protection.

Please be aware that my project is fully sanctioned by Maurice Randall of www.cmdrkey.com, the current holder of GEOS distribution rights, and as such I do have to comply with restrictions he has set upon this project. First and foremost is that the software must perform as closely as technically possible to the C64 version of GEOS 2.0. Second, I can only distribute to those who can prove that they have a valid C64 or C128 GEOS 2.0 license, or else a license must be purchased from www.cmdrkey.com (not from me).

Posted By

marco
on 2002-12-14
 GEOS +4

Ok, now i have no license for geos for c64, i have no c64!
i found on ebay a "new" 1551 unit and that include one original copy of geos, if i can bid for it...

what chip you are waiting for your 1551? i bought a old stock of commodore chips, maybe i have the one you need.

ciao: marcopollina@libero.it

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-12-14
 GEOS +4

I do need an original copy of GEOS, uninstalled, to verify the serialization of the floppy. I do not know 100% that C64 and Plus/4 versions use the same serialization routines.

(Serialization = the marking of the diskette with a particular serial number to indicate the registered user per manufacturer's records)

I am awaiting a 6525B triport interface processor, at least that's what is presumed to be the problem based on the situation: when I attempt to access the 1551, all seems to load but the disk drive hangs, causing the computer to never give a READY. prompt.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-12-25
 Chip Correction

I am in need of a 6525A. I found some specs from Commodore online about their numbering system, and it goes like this:

No suffix - 1 MHz
Suffix A - 2 MHz
Suffix B - 3 MHz
Suffix C - 4 MHz
Other suffixes are custom for a particular application

Therefore a 6525B would be too fast; I remember the 1551's 6510T runs at 2MHz also.

Posted By

MagerValp
on 2002-12-25
 fast is good

The speed is just the chip's maximum speed. A 3 MHz part will work just fine at 2 MHz.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024