Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Degauss
on 2015-04-24
03:45:43
 Re: Knaecketraecker: First TEDsound Tracker Ever!

I really can't judge on this, because i never used an editor. Nonetheless i believe there are not that big conceptual differences between trackers and editors. Knaecketraecker however is mostly a blend of protracker and some other amiga tool i loved so much: AHX (http://amigascne.org/abyss/ahx/ give it a look, its nice!).

Moreover this tool was made for my personal purposes in the first place, so it reflects my view on trackers and music in general - and i'm starting to realize that my view of things might be different from the common way of looking at it.

On the other side, its all in there what Luca pointed out: Instruments that get played in patterens which get allocated to three tracks and get arranged in a sequence. IMO the best approach to this tool is: Load one of the sample songs, make changes, hit "play" and see what happens.

P.S.: There are two-to-three things that seem to be very confusing to most ppl:

a) The groove-values. They just an "extended" version of how you specify the songs tempo. You can set them to have all the same value (say: 4) and you have your standard-chiptune-tempo

b) Instruments are handled more like samples than real instruments. There are no sustain/release points or something resembling keydown/keyup-events.

c) Since there is no sustain/release, you also don't enter durations in instruments, patterns or sequence. E.g. in patterns, the duration between two events is defined by the empty space between them. This is completely different to approaches where you enter a note with a duration. Here you place a note, leave space (=duration) and then place the next note. Reason: i'm used to this from protracker AND drum-programming is more convenient (programming drums with the note+duration-approach is hardly manageble)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024