Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2015-01-27
13:20:35
 Re: Site matters

I think MIK is right.

On the other hand >95% of commercial games was released on Tapes, as Plus/4 was on in real focus, and it does not worth to have multiloader C16 games, right? So software houses did not put too much effort on that. (There could be some exceptions (C16 with disc realase), but not too much).

OFF I do not treat myself a real collector, but from my point of view the homebrew converted games are sometimes more valuable that the commercial games. Why? Because commercial releases were made to generate some profit by a professional SW house, while converted games were purely made by few very active "plus/4 fans" for the scene without the chance to have any profit out of that. The amount of work probably not on the same level (eg. designing art, sprites, the map, levels, sound/music for original game while 90% of gfx, music and 80% of code can be reused ), but the efforts to convert a game from C64 or Spectrum should not be underestimated too. There are a lot of challenges on music, sprites (Tass Times), gfx format and color, adjustment VIC/TED conversion.
As ZX Spectrum had very big games as converted (?) one (Rainbow Island, Bubble Bobble, Myth - History in the Making, Robocop, Battle Axe etc), it proves that with certain effort ANY game could be converted to Plussy too, with a certain level of playability/quality.
It is too sad, that Z80 code is so far from 8502 one, as Spectrum games could be otherwise a great source of potential conversion games (no sprites, no SID and no special (not reproduceable) gfx trick like in CPC or Atari).

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024