Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

horchacha
on 2014-12-27
21:39:30
 hello - plus/4 troubleshooting

Hello everyone. Thanks for reading. I am having problems with my plus/4. This is actually the second one i have bought as the first one is non-functioning. I am able to use the unit fine w/ fb16 and using a uIEC-sd card. I am able to load most c16 programs no problem. If i try and load a plus/4 program the screen will glitch out like the vert hold is screwy yet the music and software is still running. Examples of ones that do no work Barbarian, Ted Diagnostic 1/2, Delta Loader music program, etc... When powered on it says my ram is at 60k or so. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am thinking i have bad ram. I have the previous non working plus/4 to take chips out.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2014-12-27
23:31:06
 Re: hello - plus/4 troubleshooting

Barbarian is a PAL release. TED Diagnostic should be system-independent. Delta Loader doesn't have a match on +4W, but Delta Music Disc is a PAL release.

So I presume, from the titles you mentioned, that you're in PAL-land. Is this correct? :)

Posted By

horchacha
on 2014-12-27
23:45:34

Whew! I sure feel silly about being so wrong. Many thanks I did not think about this at all. That is absolutely what is going on. happy I really appreciate it.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2014-12-28
23:57:23

Wow. I didn't expect it to be THAT easy. happy

I did a little more research today. The TED Diagnostic Cartridge on +4W is PAL only, and says "REV1.5(UK)" at the top line of the screen. Is this the same one you have?

Posted By

Imperious
on 2014-12-30
08:30:16

The best thing You can do for a NTSC Plus/4 is convert it to PAL, as nearly all software, especially games are PAL only.
All you need is a 27C128 and an eprom burner to create a PAL Kernal chip, also You have to change the crystal oscillator for a PAL frequency part.
Do some googling, there is a thread somewhere here that explains everything. I did this to my Plus/4 that I bought off ebay and it works real good.

Posted By

horchacha
on 2015-01-07
03:19:11

thanks jamesC. in the heat of just getting my plus/4 i overlooked several things lol. the ted diagnostic i was using was a .crt file via a uiec sd. so that would never work.

imperious: thanks for the idea! i have compiled most of the plus/4 ntsc software on.. 4 or 5 disk..l. so I'm actually into doing this. i do not currently have an eprom burner but will look into it.

thanks for the replies guys

Posted By

icbrkr
on 2015-01-09
08:48:23

I think there's more NTSC software than you might think there is.

I've been going year by year, downloading all games and testing them on an NTSC Plus/4 and I've ended up with quite a few hundred games working fine (though the ones that work get less and less as I start approaching 1990).

I've been putting them in a section on my BBS board (http://www.particles.org, telnet://particlesbbs.dyndns.org:6400) for download.

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-01-09
10:15:29

There are enough of us here (myself included) that can burn you an eeprom and post to you for the price of a stamp happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-01-10
00:49:57

You have Csabo and emulation to largely thank for the amount of NTSC games now available on C16/Plus4 compared to 15 years ago. He originally comes from the land of PAL, now living in the land of NTSC... So when ever new software or an updated .prg was being made by him then where possible he would try and support both PAL & NTSC at the same time. happy

I bet Return of Rockman is cool when it's running 17.5% faster on a real NTSC machine. wink

Posted By

horchacha
on 2015-01-10
03:33:59

thanks again guys. i ended up ordering jiffydos for my plus4 (i enjoy it on my sx64). so i'm stuck with ntsc for awhile now. i appreciate the help. really enjoying looking around the particle bbs thanks for providing that. i will be sure to grab some files thanks! my main sad about not going pal is i am interested in the music trackers and seems only dmc is avail for me. i will play with it some. used to odin on 64. thanks to csabo and just the whole community. what a resource.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024