Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

BushRat
on 2002-12-04
 Disk archiver?

Csabo, what kind of list(er) or archiver are you looking for...

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-12-04
 Jim -->

Have you mailed package yet? Do you have a tracking number?

(PLEASE PLEASE say yes to both! happy )

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-12-04
 Well

I meant lists or archives of Plus/4 programs. You my dear friend probably have lots to contribute... wink I asked you way back to submit a list of your own software. There is still nothing linked under your name. With the new editing capabilities you could add all the programs yourself, or if you don't have the time, I volunteer to type up your list (been doin' it all this time anyway).

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-12-04
 Csabo -->

I suspect that Jim passed that responsibility along to me when he sent me his CD. My original agreement with him was that I would distribute his software, and modify as needed to run on emulators. I regret that I have not already posted the whole CD for download, however my webhost only allows me 200MB of storage and 2GB of transfer (upload as well as download) per month. Therefore I intend to 'stagger' releases in order to lessen any excess bandwidth or storage charges.

A lot of Jim's stuff seems to be doubley copied onto the CD, as both .d64 and .d81 formats. The hard part is my copying each to floppies, taking them to the Plus/4, verifying that they work as intended, and making sure that everything that was on the .d81 is also on the .d64s that I do upload. I would hate to miss a program or datafile that is required, or to upload a corrupted archive or an archive that won't work on both the real machine and at least one emulator.

If I am wrong in my responsibility, I would expect Jim to step in and correct me. happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-12-05
 Stuff

While I respect your attempt to put up verified stuff only, I can't help but feel that this is selfish. Now I'm jealous of all your Jim stuff. Gimme gimme gimme!!! Look what I'm doing now: just got the TomHX Disk Archive last night (woo-hoo happy). He has finally gave me the go ahead to release it. My first job is to upload it. Of course there are duplicates, and probably some corrupted files as well, but the more people have it and see it, the better. Plus the more people see it, the easier it is to find the problems. Plus SVS would kindly kick my butt if I sat on all this good stuff... wink

However, at least knowing that you have new stuff is good news to me. After all this typing in the past few weeks, I thought we won't reach 3000 programs. Maybe we will.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-12-05
 Csabo -->

Remember I said that a lot of the stuff on the CD is duplicated in both .d64 and .d81 formats.... I don't know how much 'lost' stuff there is on that CD other than Jim's personal programming efforts. And it's hard for me to extract that seperately from the rest because he didn't make a directory that says "Jim's Programs". wink

I mean, really, is there a need for 3 seperate versions of Micro Illustrator on Jim's webpage? Probably not. As I need the space for other things I will condense that down.

As for having everything verified, I remember how much I was upset when I downloaded every single archive from Lando's post (which if you remember he put up in batches as well, for the same reasons) only to find that several could not be opened. I tried Minus4/Windows, Minus4/DOS, YAPE, and WinEmu to open them, plus a program called D64 Editor by Forrest Mook (http://almighty.c64.org/d64editor.html). I also used Star List from Joe Forester's Star Commander to make the text listings of the D64 Archive that Lando has available for download. None of these programs could open several of the archives.... so they are currently in a different directory of my hard drive awaiting time for me to check them again. Star List actually choked on the bad ones so they had to be removed from the directory, and Star List started again, etc etc until the lists were complete.

I wish to avoid my visitors the same problems that I had. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024